Hunter 310 Genset, Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2010
Hunter 310 Lighthouse Landing Resort and Marina
Hi Gang,
Has anyone installed a genset n a Hunter 310? Mine is a '99, and I am quite happy with all of my upgrades but really would like to add a genny. Anyone ever make this happen?
Thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2011
Hunter 306 Chester Basin, Nova Scotia
I have a Honda 2000 generator sits nicely in the rear seat locker. Less than 60 seconds and it's out and running. Cost effective and runs everything on boat you'd ever need.

2005 Hunter 306

Nov 4, 2010
My wife won't accept a gas device on the boat, and I really am about aesthetics. I looked at the portable solution for my former power cruiser and decided against the idea. But thanks for the reply.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Not familiar with the boat, but there's probably a hanging locker somewhere onboard that you could sacrifice to a fisher panda. The smallest isn't much bigger than a carry-on suitcase.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I have a Honda 2000 generator sits nicely in the rear seat locker. Less than 60 seconds and it's out and running. Cost effective and runs everything on boat you'd ever need.

2005 Hunter 306
Well there is your answer for were to locate that small diesel generator.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I have a Nex Gen diesel 3.5kw generator in the cockpit locker of our boat. It came with the boat. I think they run about $5K. It is compact, quiet, starts easy, not too heavy. It has about 900 hrs on it so far with no major problems. It looks like you could install one yourself if you are handy.

When it goes I will go back to my Honda EU2000. I have to carry gasoline for the dinghy and propane for the stove anyways so the Honda just makes more sense if it can meet my power needs.

I don't understand the aesthetics of a diesel generator vs a Honda.....maybe if I had a Hinckley I would get it :confused:. It seems half the boats in an anchorage are running Honda's.....

good luck, Bob

Attachments

Nov 4, 2010
We are on Kentucky Lake, and sold our dinghy as we won't need one for several years when we are ready to head down the Tenn-Tom to the Gulf and off to Cape Cod. So no gas on board and the whole carry-on prospect is a non-starter with the Admiral. I am very interested in the Next Gen 3.5, I have a Mermaid 16.5 that appears would run well on the 3.5, so now the issue is just space. I am going to consult with my service mgr. and see if we have the space and what the labor costs would look like.
How long have you had the Next Gen, are you running a 16 or better AC on it and are you happy with the performance? Thanks for the info and pic. Cheers

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
So far so good with the generator. It is a fresh water cooled, marinized Kabota engine.

We just bought this boat last winter and it has run well for us, easy starts, quiet. It has about 900 hrs on it. It was installed in spring of 2010, the previous owners must have replaced the mixing elbow already because I see one in one of the lockers, it appeared to be made of stainless steel. It seems to use very little fuel. It runs our AC, microwave, and 40 amp battery charger so far without a problem on our H356.

We have had issues in the past with boats pulling into a anchorage late. Setting with their stern right on our bow and then running a diesel generator so the fumes just about gassed us out. I have had to get in the dinghy twice now after 10 pm at night and ask them to either shut it off or re-anchor...........so we are now aware of this issue and try keep our distance from other boats when we anchor if we plan to run the genny. Just a heads up once you get one of your own.

Usually we run ours first thing in the morning to bring the batteries up, boil water etc. or in late afternoon to make ice and get dinner going. With only two 4 1/4 lb propane tanks we try use the AC as much as possible for cooking and save the propane.

I know the previous owner ran the AC all night long on this boat with this generator.

good luck on the install whatever brand you buy, Bob

Nov 4, 2010
Bob,
Excellent advice, I have spoke to my service manager and he installed one of your units in a 33 Cat recently and they are having great success with it so far and feels like we can make room in one of the transom lockers.. I think this will be the answer for me.
Thanks for your help.
Fair Winds!

Status
Not open for further replies.