Hunter 31 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

I'm considering buying a Hunter 31. Is there a source to find out what kind of problems I should lookout for particular to this model. I have not decided on any one boat at this time. Thanks Dan

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Owners Reviews.

Dan: If you check out the owners reviews you will find most of the problems. Actually there are only a few things. First is the compression post and the area under the mast that may have some delamination. The other major thing is rudder. Where are you located? How much are they asking?

C

Chuck

Hunter 31

I agree with Steve. Check the reviews and get a good survey of the boat. If it all checks out & the price is right you will have a great boat. Bought my 1983 three seasons ago and could not be happier. Plenty of room below deck and a breeze to sail. Chuck Dickhut S/V Kililani

D

Dan

Thanks for the information

Steve After submiting my question I found the archives reguarding the problems on the Hunter 31 and spent a lot of time going through the articles. The next question is how to find a good surveyor?

J

jim johnson

h31 prospective purchase

A 1987 h31 was my first sailboat. it passed a good survey, was reasonably priced, which made the purchase decision easy. the cabin is very roomy, comfortable for 2 couples. mostly i sail single-handed with no problems. my major problem is that i cannot get into the storage locker starboard/cockpit to check my fuel filter, either i am too big or the hatch is too small. my only other gripe is that there is not a fuel level gage. i have added a w10 autopilot, very convenient. if you have any specific questions, please advise. best regards, jim johnson

M

Michael O'

H31 Fuel levels

After years of dropping into the deep starboard lazarette (we call hell) to check the fuel level in the tank, we finally got smart. Ok, my first mate got tired of carrying the flashlight into the darkness. We bought the AcuGage fuel monitor (featured on this website). Yes, you can monitor plastic or composite tanks without holes Proprietary modules electronically measure the amount of liquid in the tanks using two aluminum foil sensors which are attached to the outside surface of the tanks. The system reliably measures water with high levels of solid debris because there are no sensing elements inside the tank to scale or clog. Better yet, you don't have to drill any holes! An aluminum foil sensor transmits an electronic signal through the tank walls and into the water. Another aluminum sensor then picks up this signal as it is transmitted back through the tank wall. The more fuel there is in the tank, the more signal is transmitted between the senors. The panel then determines the fuel level in the tank from the strength of the signal. No more squeezing into hell! Our Hunter 31 turns 17 this summer.

L

Leif Rasmussen

HUNTER 31 LEAKS

Hi, I have been very anxious to talk with another 1987 H31 owner. My father purchased my boat new which I later purchased from him a couple of yrs ago. I am trying to find the source of a leak on my boat that is dripping from the hole under the pedestal steering. you can see the opening I'm talking about from th eaft berth. You will have to remove the fiberglass cover that covers the cable for the steering. This leak is running down and causing water damage to the wooden bulkhead running lengthwise to the boat and next to the berth. I do have a fuel guage that was installed by my father. I fyou have any other info to share about other leaks please let me know as I am redoing the interior and want to stop as many leaks as possible. Please email or I am usually available during the day at 800-256-7887.

Status
Not open for further replies.