Hunter 30G frige

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Hi all
I'm thinking of trying to increase insulation around our refrigerator and add a seal around the door. the idea is to reduce runtime and to reduce condensation that pours into our bilge.

I have shut it off for the winter and the bilge has stayed dry. All this time I've been looking for a leak that must not have been there.

My question: who has done this and what do I need to beware of (other than protecting the refrigerant lines.) Any other hints I should know? I haven't disassembled things for access yet.

Ken

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
Ken, I stuck a whittled-down cork in my drain hole. The only time
I pull the cork is to hose out the frig. No sense in letting all that cold
air go down the drain.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken, I stuck a whittled-down cork in my drain hole. The only time
I pull the cork is to hose out the frig. No sense in letting all that cold
air go down the drain.
That's an interesting idea. We don't usually have a spill in the fridge. Condensation seems to be the culprit. I may also get condensation from outside the fridge box. For that I need to inspect for missing insulation.

Ken

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My drain is to the Aft Shower bilge, but I stopped most air infiltration by using a wash cloth instead of a cork.
Wet wash cloth drips through any condensate and blocks back flow of air [which occurs every time you open the refrigerator door].;)

I also caulked all the line holes and the corners of my freezer hatch.

I have added a battery operated DC fan, but the cold plate only stays "frost Free" near the fan. The fan does help cool my refrigerator part faster.:)
Jim...

PS: Insulation is just a time delay, not a preventer.

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I have added a battery operated DC fan, but the cold plate only stays "frost Free" near the fan. The fan does help cool my refrigerator part faster.:)
Jim...

I forgot to mention the fan. We also have an RV fan that keeps all corners of
the frig at the same temp. It's a cheap 2 D cell fan the runs continuously for
30 days on the two batteries. I think it cost about $15. Additionally I installed
a bluetooth remote temp. sensor that makes for easy monitoring of the frig.
Got it a Radio Shack years ago.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
+1 on plug and fan. That's the ticket and also run large wire to compressor clean and seal all connections power consumption goes up quick with low power