Registered users don't see ads

Hunter 30G frige

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by Ken Cross, Jan 24, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,592 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    Hi all
    I'm thinking of trying to increase insulation around our refrigerator and add a seal around the door. the idea is to reduce runtime and to reduce condensation that pours into our bilge.

I have shut it off for the winter and the bilge has stayed dry. All this time I've been looking for a leak that must not have been there.

My question: who has done this and what do I need to beware of (other than protecting the refrigerant lines.) Any other hints I should know? I haven't disassembled things for access yet.

Ken

2. Jeff

Jeff

Joined Sep 29, 2008
    184 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    US Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
    Ken, I stuck a whittled-down cork in my drain hole. The only time
    I pull the cork is to hose out the frig. No sense in letting all that cold
    air go down the drain.

3. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,592 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    That's an interesting idea. We don't usually have a spill in the fridge. Condensation seems to be the culprit. I may also get condensation from outside the fridge box. For that I need to inspect for missing insulation.

Ken

4. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,628 posts, 674 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    My drain is to the Aft Shower bilge, but I stopped most air infiltration by using a wash cloth instead of a cork.
    Wet wash cloth drips through any condensate and blocks back flow of air [which occurs every time you open the refrigerator door].;)

I also caulked all the line holes and the corners of my freezer hatch.

I have added a battery operated DC fan, but the cold plate only stays "frost Free" near the fan. The fan does help cool my refrigerator part faster.:)
    Jim...

PS: Insulation is just a time delay, not a preventer.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Joined Sep 29, 2008
    184 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    US Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
    I have added a battery operated DC fan, but the cold plate only stays "frost Free" near the fan. The fan does help cool my refrigerator part faster.:)
    Jim...

I forgot to mention the fan. We also have an RV fan that keeps all corners of
    the frig at the same temp. It's a cheap 2 D cell fan the runs continuously for
    30 days on the two batteries. I think it cost about $15. Additionally I installed
    a bluetooth remote temp. sensor that makes for easy monitoring of the frig.
    Got it a Radio Shack years ago.

6. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,628 posts, 674 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS

7. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,592 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    Wow, I'm glad I posted this, thanks

8. Whatfiero1

Whatfiero1

Joined Mar 29, 2017
    184 posts, 31 likes
    Hunter 30t
    US littlecreek
    +1 on plug and fan. That's the ticket and also run large wire to compressor clean and seal all connections power consumption goes up quick with low power