Hunter 30 Shoal draft reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2006
- - Toledo, OH
I am interested in a Hunter 30 shoal draft from late 70's early 80's. I have read several reviews on the Hunter 30, but I didn't see any that specifically discuss the shoal draft model.

Does anyone have information specific to the shoal draft models? Also, has anyone seen any information, reviews, reports, etc... that compare the deep keel model to the shoal draft model?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sep 10, 2012
My name is chris byrd.I have a 1977 hunter 30 it is in good shape.needs cleaning.it is in pc florida.it recently broke from mooring.it was not damaged.it was moved to a nearby dock.I am in mississippi.I have been unable to get down to deal with it.due to illness of my mother.I hate to sell it but may not have choice.if you are interested I will sell it cheap.it has yanmar 3gm 20 horse.good boat call me 6012388682.thanks.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
I remember seeing one review from practical sailor that is at least a decade old when I bought my standard draft version. My recollection was it was deemed some what more tender with a need to reef sooner and predicatbly not as good at going to weather as its deeper draft kin. Otherwise I think I remember it got good marks. bear in mind the original power plant the Yanmar YSB 12 was badly under powered when new and if it has not been repowered or the engine rebuild a day without wind against a strong current can be a slow ride. If its other characteristics are anything much like the deep draft version its a great boat love mine.

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
I remember seeing one review from practical sailor that is at least a decade old when I bought my standard draft version.
I have the review at home and could scan it and send to you if you send me a PM. I would not put too much weight on the report. Owner reviews may be a better source. http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_bengine&Itemid=248

I recall reading about its poor quality in PS, but I have not found that on my H33C. My shoal draft version does well on all points of sail. The SD version if the H30 is about 20 seconds slower per kM than the deep draft so it may not do as well to windward than the deep draft. This is not all that important; if you're sailing in thin water, an SD is what you want. Don Bodemann wrote a nice review on the H27C (which he sold and bought an H33C while writing the article). Loyalty to the brand is quite good. Most Cherubini owners would likely buy another if they had to do it again.

HUNTER 30 186 168 207 186 204
HUNTER 30 CB 174 174 189 180 180​
HUNTER 30 SD 207 171 207 192 225

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I've owned my H30 shoal draft for 33 yrs. I don't race, but cruising in Fl and the islands was much less challenging than it would have been in a deep draft.
As to performance, it went where I wanted to go under sail and, with a repower to a GM20 Yanmar, I get there quickly when there's little wind.

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
I have a 79 30 with 4' draft that I race against an 81 with the 5' keel. He is a better sailor than I am, so that factors in, but as I get better I am now staying with him. He seems to be able to point slightly better, but I seem to be a little faster downwind. We tie up in adjacent docks at Smithfield station and run the same transit to the James River. His 5 foot keel has occasionally given him fits because the river shoals up sometimes. I much prefer to have the 4' keel. I've been caught in huge gusts during a thunderstorm with full main and 150 genoa flying, and we heeled over so that the lee rail was in the water, but I still had sail control and could steer the boat to windward. These Hunters are built like battleships. I am delighted with my boat. Wonderful to sail, great floor plan, comfortable, sturdy and relatively fast. I can beat larger boats outright when racing. I have a Yanmar 3GM so motoring at hull speed is no problem either. I might like the deeper draft if I only sailed open water, but as it is I'll gladly keep the 4' keel. It is definely NOT tender.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
The Cherribini's are great boat John your dad's legacy is a great one. Like Tom as I get to be a better sailor I realize how lucky I was to buy this boat. Glad the shoal is as great a boat as my deep draft and yes while I love how it points there have been one or two times where I bump bottom and wished there were 15 inches less keel under me and I would bet Tom is right down wind he'd have the advantage.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Cincinnati OH
I have had my Hunter 30 for over 25 years and we sail in the western end of Lake Eire. With the skinny water common in this area, I have been thankful for the shallow keel. It sails fine, maybe not to windward as well as the deep draft but it has been a good choice for our area.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.