Hunter 290 without arch

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 290 Newport Yacht Basin
I'm looking at buying a 2001 Hunter 290 (this one). This boat does not have an arch, unlike every other 290 I can find pictures of. Did Hunter offer the 290 without an arch or was it removed? The traveler is mounted on the cabin. There is no evidence of repairs.

The other related issue is that it seemed like the boom would hit the bimini. I didn't get a chance to try it with the mainsail up - does the halyard/sail raise the boom sufficiently to clear the bimini? It looked like the boom would be at an awkward angle if so.

Unfortunately the owner has gone to the great marina in the sky, so I'm not able to get any of the history. So thanks for the help!

David

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Dave, welcome to the Sailboat Owners forum. You have made good choices in your boat buying process so far by joining our group. There is centuries of experience here to help. The first person I can think of to help answer your questions is @Crazy Dave Condon. He as an amazing guy who use to be a dealer. I put the '@' symbol in front of his online name to "tag" him with an alert so he will see it. There are many other hunter owners whom I'm sure can answer your questions as well.
That looks like a great find. She's a looker too.
I'm sorry I don't have the experience to help with your specific questions. Just thought I could direct some help your way and welcome you aboard.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi Dave
And welcome
I noticed two things in the pic you posted. First you have a rigid Vang . That is the device from the cabin top to the boom. That will hold your boom off of the bimi
Also it looks like you have a topping lift. That is a line from the aft end of the boom to the mast head. That is also used to adjust the angle of the boom. I think you are in good shape with regards to the boom support.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
David;
The Hunter 290 came standard with the arch but there were a few cases that the arch was deleted. Not sure on this boat. I was looking at the photos posted where the arch would be attached generally but no photos of that. I sold them with the arch. Can some more photos be provided? Does the estate of the previous owner have the arch at his home or the marina where located?

Rob;
I see you must be settled in. Is your boat at the new marina? give me a call later this week my friend. We will miss you here.

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for the warm welcome!

It does look like the combination of vang and topping lift could raise the boom up enough, but it seemed like it would leave the boom angled upwards awkwardly with poor sail shape. But if that's how it normally works then there should be no issue.

Unfortunately the owner's widow has been decidedly unhelpful. The boat sat on the hard for 3 years, where she is now, and based on the condition below waterline probably sat in the water without much use for longer than that. The engine only has 230 hours on it and the upholstery is in excellent shape. Generally she appears to have been well maintained.

I'll reach out to the dealer who's selling it and ask for more photos and information. Unfortunately it's an hour and a half way so I won't be able to look myself.

What would be the point of the arch if the traveler weren't mounted on it?

Thanks again for the help!

David

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rigid Vang is a plus. Not sure if there is a traveler or not on that boat. What is needed are both sides of the boat where an arch would be attached ont outside of the cockpit coaming to determine if there had been an installed arch

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
it seemed like it would leave the boom angled upwards awkwardly with poor sail shape.
You are right to be concerned about this. The topping lift will have no effect on keeping the boom off the bimini while under sail. The cut of the sail will do that. The rigid vang will also help, but could cause too much belly in the sail if you have to rely on that. You can't know what will be a problem until you hoist the main.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 12, 2019
There is a traveler on top of the cabin in a logical place. I've attached pictures. The second one shows the attachment point in the upper right. The attachment points are accessed through the cabin upholstery with color-matched plugs (picture attached), which makes me think it was either an uncommon factory option or a well done modification. There was no visible fiberglass repair, but I'll get some better pictures.

Just as a note, they removed the topping lift when they installed the rigid boom, which seems fine.

Neither the arch nor bimini will be a deal breaker for me, but I do want to know what I'm getting - and negotiate accordingly. :) Thinking about it more, I'm not super concerned about degraded performance with the bimini up, I just want to be able to toodle around when it's raining and have some comfort in an unexpected shower. Slower means less rain in the face. :)
IMG_20190112_122429.jpg
IMG_20190112_133952.jpg
IMG_20190112_124934.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Factory installed. That answers my response the 290 was shipped w/o an arch.
The boat is about 18 years old. Is the mainsail original? If so I would suggest to look at the bolt rope or sail itself as there may need repairs or replacement. If so use that as a bargaining chip should you decide on that boat

Jan 12, 2019
Awesome, thank you!!!

The sails appear to be original, and are OEM for sure. I checked both sails manually and did unfurl the genoa. They are in shockingly good condition, nice and crinkly, bolt rope had the right texture, with little evident wear anywhere. There is a very small amount of stitching failure on the genoa where it's been exposed to the elements on the furler, and they need a bit of cleaning, but otherwise there were no evident problems. The bottom needs paint, the prop and shaft are questionable pending cleaning (look like crap but may clean up fine), and there are a couple other minor issues, but overall she's in pretty amazing shape. The biggest "repair" needed is that there used to be a nav unit at the helm that was removed, with the plug still there, and that empty plug is going to bug me unless I put something on it. :)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had a 2001 290 and loved the arch and think the arch is one of the best things about the Hunters and the where the traveler is attached to the boom does not give good angle control I think but that is just me.
Both me and my wife love the arch and that is why I own another H-36,but hey many boats don’t
have a arch so if the price is really good than OK but after owning 2 Hunter with a arch I could never go back that and Inmast.
Nick

Jan 12, 2019
The end of this story: saw the boat and posted this thread on Saturday, made an offer Sunday night, and the boat was already sold! Then I contracted on a Hunter 30, only to have a terrible survey today that made me walk away. So I'm still in the market. Would love to find a Hunter 280/290 if I can, but I'm dubious I'll find one in a reasonable timeframe.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The end of this story: saw the boat and posted this thread on Saturday, made an offer Sunday night, and the boat was already sold! Then I contracted on a Hunter 30, only to have a terrible survey today that made me walk away. So I'm still in the market. Would love to find a Hunter 280/290 if I can, but I'm dubious I'll find one in a reasonable timeframe.
Assume you don't have kids or guest aboard as the 290 has a great open saloon but you have to climb over the settee to get in the forward berth. Use to have a 30T and loved having the separate V berth.

Jan 12, 2019
The forward berth would probably be for the kids, who have no problem climbing over stuff. :) Overnight guests aren't in the plans.