Hunter 280: Fixed Side Windows

May 31, 2015
Hunter 280 Lake Norman
The port side fixed window on my 1997 280 decided to break this weekend. A complete vertical split right up the center between the two interior windows.
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what are my repair/replacement options.
Thanks

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I'm not that familiar with the Hunter 280, but some years ago I replaced similar looking side windows on a smaller C&C. I made a cardboard template and took it to a plastics maker/supplier. They made me a perfect UV stabilized polycarbonate replacement for relatively low cost. Getting the old window off was harder than installing the new one. You also need special drills (see below) to drill through polycarbonate without shattering it. I used butyl tape to seal the new window.
http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_lexan_plastic_drill_bits

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
The port side fixed window on my 1997 280 decided to break this weekend. A complete vertical split right up the center between the two interior windows.
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what are my repair/replacement options.
Thanks
The same thing happened to my 1995 29.5 and I just ordered the replacement from Hunter and have a local serviceman installed it. He took his time to clean out very well the old glue, he drilled 8 small holes in the new window, then he proceeded to placed the new glue on the boat and on the window, waited for a while until the glue was almost dry and proceeded to install the new window in place. He secured the window with the 8 screws, told me not to use the boat until he removed the screws to avoid any cracks and let it dried for a week. He removed the screws and filled the holes with translucent glue and the job look perfect. The key is to insure that the new window is fully glue to the boat and to obtained that the screws keep the pressure of the window against the surface of the boat. After he removed the screws and he filled the holes with glue, the window looks perfect. If you want to make a template, be sure to do it while the old window is fixed to the boat, because is not easy to remove the window without braking it, and once the window is removed from the boat, it would be very difficult to make a proper template using the indentation, and you could end up with a template too big to take to your local acrylic shop. Cost of the part H-425600 HunterOwners for a 280 is $385 and it will fit perfect. Good luck.

Apr 14, 2017
Hunter 280 Portland, Or
I'm a new 280 owner and have a couple projects. One is the resealing of the port side window. It leak at the top aft corner. I've read a few posts on this and some have said to drill a hole through the old 795, slide some 40lbs monofilament through it and attach on each side. Then cut through the old sealer to remove the window. I'm curious if that's the best way to remove the window.
Cheers
Jason