Hunter 270 for the win

Aug 5, 2017
Hunter 270 Borden
All right guys here it goes.....we bought a 2002 Hunter 270 last may, blown out sails, rotten floor all can be fixed. we pulled the boat last October and started our project, I wanted performance my wife wanted comfort. what we came up with was the newest boat in the fleet and winning the spring series here in Louisville. who knew that there was such a desire here on the river, Derby city sailing club. Every Wednesday there are up to 40 boats and five classes mixing it up on the river. I want to share our story and with a few performance issues what this boat can do. this is our first monohull......we love our Hunter 270.
Square top Main, standard head sail, max feathering prop, complete bottom job faired and sanded to 1000 grit, 8 coats of bottom paint and a Teflon copper bottom anti foul. full garmin electronics gwind and 7" head unit on the helm. 32" lewmar folding wheel, lazered the keel to the rudder and realized a 2" difference not plum, fabricated new rudder brackets to re align the rudder to the keel. the floor was replace with Koosa and topped with synthetic teak, shower plumbed in to actually work with a hot water heater and stainless steel sinks. the biggest change aside from the square top main is a full color swap from the original hunter dark blue to sunbrella linen.
With 5 races left (we are in second place) and one regatta remaining we will be pulling the boat out for the next round of upgrsades in November. Hunter may not be known for racing but with a few changes and upgrades we are. picture attached Sails Meeting

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice job! Prep work is so valuable. What kind of ratings ding do you have to take for the square top?

Aug 5, 2017
Hunter 270 Borden
There was only one hunter 270 that a rating could be found on with 214. They took 3 for the prop and 3 for the square top so im now at 207. Then our club adjusts your PHRF based on how well you do and give you a handicap so I'm now at 197.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There was only one hunter 270 that a rating could be found on with 214. They took 3 for the prop and 3 for the square top so im now at 207. Then our club adjusts your PHRF based on how well you do and give you a handicap so I'm now at 197.
Why did they ding you for the folder? That’s standard PHRF configuration.

Sep 9, 2014
Hunter 26.5 26.5 North Bay
Beautiful job, lots of work I'm sure. I have a 26.5 hunter which is now pretty well unbeatable in white sail division. Your pics show a wing keel similar to mine. I think it was one of the secret weapons for downwind speed and also high winds. This year we went flying sail and did Ok with a blown out spinnaker.