Hunter 27 Sliding Hatch Question

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
I am replacing the 2 piece lexan companionway drop boards with (4) 3/4"mahogany boards, and wondered what the correct interface is between the top drop in board and the sliding hatch. The sliding hatch has an extended hollow "rib" along the aft edge, and it seems like if I made the uppermost drop board stick up a little bit high AND the sliding hatch lifted up about an inch (it lifts about 1/4" now), the hatch would kind of interlock with the top drop board once it was lowered- making it almost immune to wind driven rain.
So I guess the core question is: Can the sliding hatch be adjusted so that the aft edge could be raised up a bit?
I can't tell by inspection how it's retained, and I haven't bothered to remove the clamshell to inspect the workings. Just wondered if anyone knew enough to stop me before I started that endeavor. Thanks all.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Following up on my own post- just wanted to clarify that the 84 H27 doesn't have one of those smoked acrylic "NOT a STEP" sliding hatches like the newer higher dollar models have. It's a ribbed, white fiberglass slider with the loop part of the lock hasp screwed into the aft end of it. I know, I need pictures.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
image.jpeg image.jpeg
This is the hatch on the '81. My boards are maybe 1/4" proud. I lift the hatch slightly to clear, and they seem to nest just fine. There isn't really a mechanism; it just slides on the Teflon guides and is held down by the clamshell. The shell is pretty easy to remove, just a bunch of screws. I have to take mine off every year to clean it out and grind off some more of the front lip that scrapes when you open it and makes a heck of a racket!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My hatch will also bump into the top companionway board when it is being closed. I lift it up, maybe 1/8" and it will clear and the lip will fall over the hatchboard. I've never had any rain make its way between the hatch and boards, so I see no reason to try to modify the hatch rail.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Lifting the hatch seems to be the standard interface & makes sense to me. I am also a fan of angling the tops & bottoms of the companionway boards, so that water runs towards the outside by force of gravity. I usually use about 70 & 110 degrees, rather than a right angle when cutting the boards to size. A little more difference probably would not hurt.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The only thing I would foresee is that in time you will scrape the finish off the top board. If any I would increase the gap a little. What is a little water here and then on the companionway steps?

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Thanks for the advice, all. I put a 45 degree slant on the interfaces of each board to shed rain, and will finish them with about 4-5 coats of poly. Something with good UV screening. I was also thinking of nailing in some round headed brass nails on those slanted surfaces where the boards rest against each other to create a miniscule gap between them- thinking maybe that would prevent the wicking/holding of incidental water. I was just overthinking the mating of the top board and the sliding hatch, because Benny's right: What's a few drops of water on the top step going to hurt? I got myself all worked up over nothing again. A wise friend once told me: "Seek the counsel of others with more experience in clear thinking than you have".
At 58 I'm starting to understand.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Before putting in those brass nails, I think that I would try just using some scraps of cloth as temporary spacers, to see how you like it. A driving rain may change your mind, or the extra ventilation may be a bonus. You don't know until you try it & see.

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
Does anyone know what the dimensions of the bottom of the hatchboard slot are... I'm not at my boat and trying to decide on cheap A/C options... in other words will a small window unit A/C fit in the gap The modern drawings show 10 inches but I feel like the older boats are bigger than that.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
I just put new drop boards in, and I recall the bottom was 22 or 23 inches across. Not sure if thats what youre asking though.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Sorry i misspoke. The clearance at the bottom of the door is 18.5 in. I am at the boat now

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
It was 102 here until the thunderstorm popped now its 86 with 70% humidity... soooo I guess I'll need the scuba gear to get to my car.