Hunter 27 Marine Air - Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2010
Hunter 310 Lighthouse Landing Resort and Marina
I have recently purchased a beautiful '84 Cherubini 27' and I really would like to install Marine Air. Has anyone out there been through this project from beginning to end, and does anyone have suggestions on the best way to go. I am in the middle TN area and it does get dang hot, and humidity is an issue too, so with that said BTU's is also a decision point. Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
One of my very early projects was a Mermaid A/C. I went with a 12K being on the north coast and it has worked well, now for eleven seasons. I can't help with placement since I don't know your boat that well. But I can tell you that a standard size cardboard box with about one inch cut from the top makes a good template. I only drilled one hole through the bootstripe for the cooling water to exit. For input water I put a T-valve on top of the engine cooling seacock.

Oh, and I installed no ductwork. It blows out under the nav table. The salon cools immediately. Takes a little longer to cool the v-berth.

Attachments

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
The mfr. will provide a formula that helps determine the number of BTU's best suited for you. I suspect you will be around 8-10M BTU's. Don't oversize the unit! It will end up short cycling and never get the humidity out. I assume you've given thought to a hatch mounted unit over built in. It is the simplier approach. I've had both. Both work well. Neither will keep the cabin cool during the day but feel wonderful after sunset. We found it easier to store our CruiseAir (5500 BTU) unit in a dock box instead of carrying aboard our 1996 H26. I found it much easier lift aboard with dock side help. Used CruiseAir units can be had for about 1/2 the cost of new ones if that's appealing to you. Now we have a built in unit. I chose a 16,500 BTU unit for our 1993 H33.5. It took me several weekends to finish the project. I must admit it's much nicer to just flip a switch when A/C is needed. For new equipment the cost difference is about 2 to 1 if you provide the labor to install. I ended up using this mfr. Here is a link to their website. flagshipmarine.com

Attachments

Nov 4, 2010
Hunter 310 Lighthouse Landing Resort and Marina
We finally decided on a Mermaid 9KW with reverse heat. It installed nicely under the V-Berth with 6" vent in the salon, and 4" vent in V-Berth. With the teak intake and vents and digital thermostat and condensator it looks and works great.
Thanks to all of the advise and direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.