Hunter 27-2 lazarette access

May 2, 2017
Hunter H27-2 Annapolis, MD
Good afternoon all!
New member of the forum and new owner of a 1991 Hunter 27. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on accessing the lazarette on this series H27? The aft hatches are relatively small accessing this space. Is there an easier way of geting to the fuel tank and batteries easier from the aft bunk? The bulkhead appears to be plywood but not sure what's behind that.
Thanks!
--jeff
S/V Patience

Kh3412

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 34 Lake Erie
Had a 1990 and installed two hatches in rear bulkhead. Makes putting batteries in a breeze. Can't find pictures now but will look when home.

May 2, 2017
Hunter H27-2 Annapolis, MD
Had a 1990 and installed two hatches in rear bulkhead. Makes putting batteries in a breeze. Can't find pictures now but will look when home.
Was there fiberglass behind the wood on the bunk side? Hard to see and figured I'd ask before I get too creative with a saw.

Russ M

Aug 10, 2022
Hunter 27-2 Lake Saint Clair, MI
Did you ever install the hatches? If so, would be interested in what you used and if you liked the outcome. I just bought a 1990 27-2 and have the same problem with not being able to reach batteries and not having any functional use of the space. BTW, I did use a selfie-stick to look down the port side of the lazarette and found a fuel gauge on the top of the tank - absolutely no access to see it any other way, so dumb luck that I found it with only about a 2" clearance.