Registered users don't see ads

Hunter 260 - Big Problems - Water Ballast?

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Tyler Rippel, Sep 23, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. flynhi4u

flynhi4u

Joined Oct 28, 2013
    562 posts, 111 likes
    Hunter 20
    US Lake Monroe
    That was actually Cindy take on the whole situation. She handled it much better than I did. After a year in the making the trip just kind of unfolded in a unplanned way. We made the best of it but it was far from what I had hoped for. Darn boats

Sam

2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,668 posts, 318 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Sam;
    I have made many mistakes over the years and learned all too well. A good example taking down a mast of a H 26 at night with everything tangled up. It came down and then headed to florida for a new mast. Two days later new mast on and a lot out of my pocket. Called the customer advising all is fixed which he was pleased. Customer called a few days later and liked some improvments when the beans were spilled. He was grateful I took care of it quickly. He purchased another boat knowing I took care of my children or boats.

3. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,668 posts, 318 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @Tyler Rippel
    Questions have been posed here and no response back. we are here to help and assist but cooperation on your part is needed.

4. ArcticFarx

ArcticFarx

Joined Jun 29, 2015
    14 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter H260
    CA Toronto Ontraio Ghost Lake
    I had the same issue with mine for the past 2 years. I did all the steps the guys have suggested and still was finding water in the bilge area and often on the sole of the cabin. Sealed compression post, check. Died the water in the ballast tank, check. (Water found after that had no color). Checked all the seals and rings for the potable water tank and hoses, check.

Then our boat was stored indoors for a year (transported from Alberta to Ontario). She was good and dry. We moved her out into the yard pending access to our marina (still on the trailer). We returned 2 weeks later to launch her and... WATER! The only source available at this point is rain. Turns out the sealant in the seam of the cockpit floor had decayed and every time it rained (or snowed), water was pouring into the boat and pooling under the sole.
    A bit of cleanup to remove the old stuff with a putty knife, and a single tube of 5200 to reseal the seam from the stern scoop to the main sheet and we've been dry ever since.

Best of luck. /)

5. Rick Macdonald

Rick Macdonald

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    522 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    CA Calgary, Canada
    AR...I can't picture what seam you sealed?

6. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,668 posts, 318 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    water from the companionway if boat not level dripping from the drip rail adjacent to the companionway or from that stopper piece of wood where the caulk has separated. Maybe that cover over the companionway with a throwable cushion underneath would resolve that

As for the wood underneath the cabin floor laminate, I hope the poster allowed that water to dry underneath or he eventually will be replacing it. I hope he did not use 5200 to seal around that floor wood laminate. I would hate to be the one cleaning that if the floor piece has to be removed.

7. Doug J

Doug J

Joined May 2, 2005
    1,028 posts, 32 likes
    Hunter 26
    US San Diego, CA
    Talk about suspense! Tyler Rippel are you going to follow up with your original post and either give us more information or tell us what happened?

Fred likes this.
  8. flynhi4u

flynhi4u

Joined Oct 28, 2013
    562 posts, 111 likes
    Hunter 20
    US Lake Monroe
    Come on man, I came clean about my leak, Tylers turn now LOL!

Sam

9. Doug J

Doug J

Joined May 2, 2005
    1,028 posts, 32 likes
    Hunter 26
    US San Diego, CA
    Maybe Tyler is too embarrassed to admit something. ;)
    It's okay we all have made mistakes - me probably more than average.

10. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,603 posts, 816 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    He hasn’t been here since Sunday. He only posted once. I guess he’s a One Hit Wonder.

11. flynhi4u

flynhi4u

Joined Oct 28, 2013
    562 posts, 111 likes
    Hunter 20
    US Lake Monroe
    As long as he has a boat he will have problems and more questions. He will be back LOL

Sam

Kermit likes this.
  12. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,603 posts, 816 likes
    Hunter 260
    Now there’s a sales pitch for boat ownership if I’ve ever seen one.

flynhi4u likes this.
  13. flynhi4u

flynhi4u

Joined Oct 28, 2013
    562 posts, 111 likes
    Hunter 20
    US Lake Monroe
    Well I was just being honest.

Sam

14. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,603 posts, 816 likes
    Hunter 260
    The truth shall set you free!

15. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,668 posts, 318 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Flynhi4u
    You are correct that since we have not heard back from the O P, he may be embarrassed but to all, there are no dumb questions regarding sailboats and if there is, I can tell you all of us have asked a dumb question a time or two. Better to be safe than sorry. I believe we will hear back from him in the future and will be glad to help. Yes it is frustrating when a question is posed and there is no feed back from a O P as to what occurred some are reluctant not to respond to this fellow in the future. I will regardless.

16. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    130 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us Florida West Palm Beach
    5200 actually comes in a few different flavors. The standard stuff takes a week to dry. The "fast dry" version takes a day, assuming 50% humidity & normal room temperature. It actually dries faster if the temperature & humidity are a little higher. Alcohol prevents it from drying for some reason.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/576967O/3mtm-marine-adhesive-sealant-fast-cure-5200.pdf

The OP said that he used the fast dry version, so that should be a 24 hour cure time under standard conditions.

Other variations of 5200 include different colors.

17. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,603 posts, 816 likes
    Hunter 260
    Alcohol prevents lots of things from happening in my case.

Rick D and flynhi4u like this.
  18. Tyler Rippel

Tyler Rippel

Joined Aug 6, 2017
    14 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Canton, OH Atwood Lake
    Sent a follow up personal message, thank you @Crazy Dave Condon for your offer to help.

Thanks to everyone else as well. I left on a flight to Paris the next day after posting and have just returned.

The boat didn't seem to take on any more water after it was cleared. It took a couple hours. We ran the bilge for a while until it got below the line where the bilge was effective, then bailed the water from the floor to the bilge to finish clearing it out. I left while my wife cleared the rest of the water to retrieve the trailer 30 minutes away, then came back and pulled the boat 6-8 hours later after needing to leave to coach a soccer game (once we knew we had a dock neighbor to check on the boat and report if more water entered or not). We didn't take on more water in that time at all. I did open up the valves earlier to ensure the ballast tank was full, and closed them, but maybe something blocked the seal? No idea. Will wait to hear from Dave and report back.

19. Doug J

Doug J

Joined May 2, 2005
    1,028 posts, 32 likes
    Hunter 26
    US San Diego, CA
    Thanks for getting back to us and not keeping us in suspense:D. Sounds like good news. My guess is something was going on with the ballast tank valve. So, are you saying the boat is still in the water and was never pulled out on the trailer?

20. Tyler Rippel

Tyler Rippel

Joined Aug 6, 2017
    14 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Canton, OH Atwood Lake
    It had been in the water the whole season. I did re-open the ballast tank/valve to ensure it was full, and most likely screwed something up from there. It didn't hit me right away but maybe some scum or stick was initially preventing it from fully tightening, no idea?

Fully independent porta potty, yes.

The bilge cleared what was in the bilge area quickly - maybe 5-10 minutes? Then the cabin water was bailed into the bilge for further clearing, albeit much more slowly.

I did crank on the ballast plug more and re-open and seal the ballast air valve, and then it seemed to have stopped. The thing that got me was how I swear a saw a stream of water shooting up from the floor insert while there was still water in the cabin (under water). My wife saw it as well. Maybe the water did drain to the bilge but "neatly" exited the bilge to the cabin along the base of the mattress without getting us wet, and then the floor was shooting AIR up into the water, which would likely be more noticeable when viewing the pin hole under water anyway.

It's likely my dumb mistake, but we'll confirm shortly, hopefully :)

Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.
Hunter strainers and filters
For engines, gensets, AC, and more.
Hunter replacement stanchions
Replace for safety and appearance