Hunter 260 - Better option than roller reefing jib in heavy wind?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rgranger
Your confirmation is correct so you can winch line in and then tie to cleat. Tyler’s setup is correct as he has a jam cleat in that situation as when he uses the winch and lets it go it is holding. Now I have a better idea he was in high winds for being new to the boat he should go on reefed main only but best advice if that too strong wind for being new again 25 over, stay at the dock

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I sail my boat solo often in 25kts. The standard setup for the jib sheets is not correct . I added a fairlead to the forward cleats. Wrap the winch and lock out the forward cleat . Cleat after the winch which is not then loaded as the load is wrapped around the winch.
Next time sailing , try just tying a piece of rope thru the cleat to lock them open . Next add extra wraps to the winch and sail . This way you will not have the jib sheets jammed under load .

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
On my H26, I installed cam cleats on the vertical surface behind the winch. it works well.

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
I am by no means an expert but from the picture it almost looks like the starboard cam cleat is installed backwards? The jaws should open to aft not forward. If that is the case it will pop out for sure.
You still have the covers on the winch which tells me you are not using the winch to carry some of the load on the jib sheets. I always lock the sheet in the cam and then put a couple of wraps around the winch.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@MaxinCalgary

can you supply a photo or two what you are talking about. Sometimes I may have missed something which many of us do. I wouold appreciate it. Thank you sir and also for your contributions to the forum.