Hunter 260 Backing Plates

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
We are mid way through our first season with a H260. Boat was purchased as a trailer cruiser last Thanksgiving and it has not disappointed - just back from 8 days in the San Juan's.

Question - before I really start drilling holes (have already added a few things ) is there a guide to backing plate location in the boat? Did I miss it? Have an asym. chute and hoping I can run fairleads for the tack line adjacent to those existing for the roller furler line and upgrade the starboard spinlock to a double w/o thru bolting?

Also - sorry - I did not do a forum search but...wind and solar power recommendations appropriate for the boat?

Thoughts? Thanks much!

Roche Harbor fueling (fit right in with the over $1 million crowd!)
upload_2017-8-23_16-40-56.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ask the specific questions one for solar and the other for spinnaker. There is a lot out there and you will have responses under small boats. If not, post under general Hunter. Keep us informed.

Nov 18, 2016
Kermit: Awesome - thanks - I will peruse and drill away.
Dave: No dedicated spi questions - I plan on fishing the unused jib halyard through the existing mast spi fittings, utilizing a block & long shackle to tack a used tacker on the forestay, and a sock for potential single hand use. Outside gybes. Have acquired parts just need to destep the mast, drill the fairleads and move forward slowly w/ Mrs. Snow.

Specific solar questions - I don't know what I don't know. Have seen other small web boats with units mounted to the stern pulpit rail over the rudder and was looking for solid recommendations. Want to keep the house battery charged - we have no shore power and the outboard motor is seldom run for long periods.

Also did not know if anyone used a wind generator to charge a small boat.

Off Suchia Island - San Juan's 8/17. Smokey.
upload_2017-8-24_11-26-22.png

Nov 18, 2016
Drew,

We are sure having fun. The H260 really suits our wants/needs.

We have two batteries - engine & house. Suspect the alternator is not fully charging the house. Note: I have VERY LIMITED electrical knowledge/experience/expertise but have invested in a few books and believe a mutimeter is in my future.

Initial desire is to be able to keep everything on charge. Have no current additional system draws desides stock. No shore power availability although we have an unused plug in. Anticipate a chartplotter in the future. Maybe a spreader light. No real need for anchor/steaming lights - except when we cruise. Lost them in the San Juan's. We typically only use the outboard for getting in and out of the dock at home so we probably are not getting an efficient alternator charge. Use portable Luci lights when camping/cruising.

Thanks much.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
OK, marine electrical systems are basically arithmetic. The amp hour capacity should be stamped on your batteries. If they're new, you've got about 75% useful amps in each. That goes down with age. The lights on the boat use about an amp per hour each. If you've got a 100 amp hour house battery, that means 75 hours of operation, plenty to go out for a week or so. A future chart plotter won't eat much, either.

Forget the wind generator, those are for live aboard cruisers with freezers and washing machines on their boats. What I recommend you do is put five watt solar chargers on the batteries. They only generate a third of an amp in direct sunlight and don't need to be regulated. That'll keep them fresh and protect them from the sulfation process that destroys batteries.

I'm set up this way and can go out for a week, using a tiller pilot underway and lights at night and have never had a battery power problem.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The owner's manual can be found if you go above to boat information, pick hunter, pick 260, pick downloads and there you will find the manual for both the 240 and 260 but the side of the sheet will indicate which boat.

Nov 18, 2016
Dave - thanks - found the info including the H260 deck metal pdf.

Drew - A dim light went off this afternoon. As I have a plug in, we can add a solar trickle charger. Seems like I want to pull the house battery and insure it is at full charge prior to solar trickling. Do you have a recommendation for a unit?
Will need to check battery and add up amp hours relative to intended length of use. Can't be much. Wife would like some fans as well.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Not sure if this would work on a 260, but on my 240 I made a solar panel mount with PVC pipe and used the mast crutch holes to mount it. The panel is a 5-watt Sunforce I think. Has worked great for my limited power needs.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I mounted a solar panel over the rudder attached to the stern rails . I have to house batteries on the port side with a controller.
T9.9 outboard charges one of the batteries also. I have a battery charger but never use it as both batteries stay charged with my limited draw.
B&G Vulcan chart plotter . (you can mirror and control it of your iPad )

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
H20 Snow
Do you have two battery system and if so a battery selector. When running, your engine if electric start will be charging what that battery selector is set to. Food For thought. NEVER SWITCH THAT SELECTOR WHEN MOTOR IS RUNNING!!!!!!

Nov 18, 2016
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advise. Just ordered a Sunforce 5 watt charger for our initial foray into alternative power sources.

Dave - our plug in two battery system is aftermarket - I will dig deeper re:selector.

Cheers. JT

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Good show. The mounting systems up thread are pretty creative. FWIW, I bought two plastic rail mount clips and SS mounting hardware at WM for about five bucks.

There's a picture of a selector switch Crazy Dave is referencing, attached.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@h2o_snow
Hunter never installed a two battery system on the 260 but either owner or dealer installed. I sold nearly a quarter of the production line of the 260 and know it fairly well. If you have a two battery system with battery selector, then advise what exactly you have. If you do not, please stop and let me talk with you as I am concerned. You may have a mickey mouse set up and we certainly do not want you to hurt yourself or the boat. Please post photos or if you want send me a private message with phone and I will call. All contact is handled with care as I do not give it out nor do I keep your contact information unless you insist. Not even my wife is given that information.

Nov 18, 2016
Dave,

Thanks - I'll take you up on the Sue B2 electrical review. Will take some pics next time we sail and PM.

Gentlemen - very much appreciate all the help! JT

Jul 17, 2015
Hunter H26 Lucky Peak
Dave,
Do you know if the backing plates for the 26 are the same as the 260 diagram?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Moderators, can you see if the M-H files on line have any diagrams showing the aluminum encapsulated plates in the deck of the 260 please. Like a dummy I am please advise where to look so I will know next time. Any chance putting them under a special heading on Hunter Owners?
I may have shown my ignorance here but remember I am Crayz

As for the plates they are generally in areas where the deck is raised or sometimes where there are square areas without any nonskid in the nonskid pattern areas. If you will send a photo where you want to attach I can advise.

You might try calling the forum store who does sell that type of equipment to see if they have any diagrams for the 260 where blocks go. Ask for Dave Groshong. He is good man to deal with sir.

dave condon

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Ahem. Dave. Read my first reply. Dang you're getting old. That CRS Syndrome is getting worse.