Hunter 26 bilge access -- What is it actually for?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello fellow H26 owners.

During the nor'easter we had last month, the sunbrella tarp I had over my boom got torn lose. And I got rain water in the boat through the sliding companionway hatch.

I had an inch of water sloshing around on the sole of the salon of my boat. MY BILGE WAS DRY!

So here are my questions!
1) Is there a way to create a drain from the salon floor to the bilge? I don't want to be the first guy to cut into anything so if you have done this successfully, can you please post pics.

2) Is the bilge pump really good for anything. As far as I can tell, the only way water can get to the bilge is if a huge following sea crashed through the companionway.. and then the tiny little pump would not be much good anyway.

Thoughts?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@rgranger ,

Good morning! That's quite curious, as most boats larger than 22 feet have a manual bilge pump installed. I'm not personally too familiar with Hunters, but I'd say that your first priority is keeping water out of your companionway, and not worrying about the bilge. The bilge isn't typically designed to be a runoff for intruding rainwater anyway, as I've often found the floor surrounding the bilge access port to be either lower, or level with the access port. It's hard to say if you could drill a drainage tube to your bilge simply because I don't know the design and plan of your cabin, but I'd say that the best way to fix the problem is to waterproof your companionway as much as you possibly can. I had a similar problem with my Catalina 25; for at least the first six months I owned the boat, water would get into the cabin after any storm. I'd step down the companionway and see little puddles of water in the corners of the cabin floor, specifically the corner over by the galley, where the floor is lowest. I eventually got sick and tired of drying up the water with a towel and ruining my fiberglass floor and decorative rugs, and just cut pieces of wood that fit the little slits in the companionway boards that I can slide in anytime I leave the boat. I've also got little pieces of malleable styrofoam that I've cut to fit perfectly between the top corners of the upper companionway board and the sliding top deck door.
As for your bilge pump, you probably won't be able to get one that'll save you too much effort without spending $300 or more. I've found that the best way to do it is just to go old fashioned, and pump it out with a hand pump and bucket! I hope this helps!

God Bless,
S.S.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
The sole of your boat is the top of the ballast tank. Don’t drill any holes! As mentioned in the previous response first priority is keeping water from getting in. In addition to the companionway you may also get some water at the compression post.

Here’s what it looks like during construction.

Raised portion behind foot is the step/ballast vent/ballast valve tower at base of companionway.
A0DF21BA-61D4-4C13-ADC1-3BAD33E6E3D2.jpeg

Last edited: