Hunter 26 2 questions ?

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
I have 2 questions
Hunter 26
1. how does the tack of the sail attach to the gooseneck ? I'm missing whatever connects it.
see attached picture. I assume it attaches to the small (squarish) hole on the top of the gooseneck, because the larger lower (round) hole is where the rams head hook should be..... for now, I'm just tying it to the smaller upper hole with some line, but know there should be some type of shackle etc to make this connection.. any pictures you have would be appreciated...

2. should the battens stick out the back of the main sail ? mine does by about an inch or so...
this makes the strapping that holds the battens in a little short as when you wrap it around the end of the batten only about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the Velcro actually engages... I'm thinking of cutting the battens a little shorter so more of the Velcro will stick together.... thoughts ???

Attachments

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Yes there should be a shackle on the sail to hold the tack.

Before you do any cutting make sure that the battens are fully seated into the mast slot slides! I assume that you have a fully battened sail.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Here's a picture of my shackle. They come in different lengths so I think you need to be careful. If you get one that's too long the outhaul could put too much tension on the first sail slug.
20180702_132436.jpg

Jun 2, 2004
My H23.5 was missing a batten when I bought it. The previous owner said it flew out in a strong wind. Mine also stuck out about 3/4" or so, even when I made sure they were fully inserted at the mast end as Fred mentioned (there is a tab or seem inside that can stop the batten short).

I cut mine to make them fit. Be careful, mine are flesh-coloured fiberglass and splinters are impossible to see and remove from your hands! (not LOL)

My Velcro was very worn, and the topping lift would flap around and snag on the velcro strap such that I could see it easily ripping open. I started by covering the strap with sail tape but I eventually just sewed them shut with whipping twine. Easy enough to remove if I need to get the battens out.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Rick, any idea how long your shackle is ? say from pin to deepest part of throat ?

Jun 2, 2004
The _inside_ dimension is 1.5", but I have a H23.5. The H26 could be different. If nobody else chimes in you could fit a loop of line and adjust it to make sure it isn't pulling too hard on the lowest sail slug, and get your measurement that way.

My sailing buddy has had a H26, H270, and two H260's. I think one of them had a shackle that was too long and I seem to recall the sail was ripped as a result of it. Now that I think of it, it could have been that it ripped along the bolt rope in the boom and not up at the sail slug. Sorry I don't remember exactly, but with this head's up you should be able to make sure nothing is strained when you harden the outhaul.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Rick, any idea how long your shackle is ? say from pin to deepest part of throat ?
The SBO store here carries Hunter parts. Call them and they will find it for you

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
It is possible the prev owner bought new battens and never bothered to cut them to length. But as Fred noted, check carefully to see if the fore end is fully seated in the batten pocket or fitting, as my H23 has plastic fittings and you have to slide the end in about and inch or so. If they truly are too long, you can easily cut to length. I recommend the batten end protectors, which are rubbery like things you glue (I epoxied) on each batten end. It makes them less prone to saw through the velcro or batten pocket.