Hunter 25.5 nav-light question

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 25.5 SYR
Hope someone can point me in the right direction... a week ago I bought an '84 25.5 which sits in a cradle, at a marina about 50 miles away - and it will stay there until spring launch. I have now found that the navigation light that should be about halfway up the mast has been removed. I've been searching through the online documents but am not sure what the replacement should be.
Overall, the boat is very clean, inside and out. Sails (4 in total) all look good. Been told the 8hp Johnson is in good condition, so I'm anxious for next season here in the Finger Lakes of NY.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The masthead or steaming light. I doubt Hunter had/has a proprietary brand, and it was probably an owner-installed item.
It'd be nice to be able to match the old lamp's mounting holes in the mast, but this could be an opportunity for a little upgrade, too.
image.jpeg
That there's the Forespar deck/masthead unit kloudie1 links to, but it requires 3 wires. If you've only 2 wires at the mounting location, fishing a third or a new 3 conductor wire isn't too big of a deal.
Good luck and have fun!

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 25.5 SYR
Thanks
Here's what I believe is another, related issue: I don't think there are bow lights on her. (green/red)
Would this missing mast light have been a combo of white, red, & green?
Since the boat is 50 miles away, I've only visited her a total of three times, so far.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For the red and green lights on an h25.5 look for a combo fixture mounted on the bow pulpit.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The Hunter 25.5 was supplied originally with a Kenyon Isomat Mast and possibly later by Z Spar. It sounds like your mast was a replacement. Steaming lights are in one of two places either half way up the mast or on top of the mast. On your river in MD, many do look for the steaming light when underway but on a lot of lakes at night, many power boats often look forward and not up. I have suggested a 360 degree light to be displayed for safety at night on lakes for that very reason particularly when there are bass tounaments.

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 25.5 SYR
Thanks for your responses.
Don't know about any mast replacement. PO is not available.
Not even sure, at this point, what wiring is available inside the mast.
Like the idea of keeping it a simple Steaming Light, though.
BTW: did find the bow lights on the pulpit (hidden by a large coil of line), but the lens is gone - so will have to retrofit that one too.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The masthead / steaming light only needs to be one meter above the red / green side lights. Mine's about five feet up the mast. That way its down where its more likely to be seen, and if it goes out I can fix it without climbing or dropping the mast.
If you're installing one from scratch you could can put it as high or low as you want as long as its at least one meter higher than the side lights.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JGW is correct about the height of the light location. You may want to consider the area you sail/cruise in and the type of sailing you envision when you will need to turn on the lights. Position the lights at a height that the boaters in your area will be looking. May help to make you visible in the dark time.
If you venture out to the ocean, and cruise near the shipping lanes, having the lights 3 feet off the water makes you invisible. That is why many put their lights on the top of the mast. Get the lights closer to the vision of the big ships both when at the top and bottom of a wave.

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
What did you find in there? I have same issue. Masthead light was missing when I got the boat. I have been up mast and tried fishing them out with a coat hanger.

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 25.5 SYR
I've done nothing to replace the Steaming Light. I have a working 360 white, mast head light and both stern and bow lights work. Since I don't stay out after sunset, I haven't even used them. I plugged the hole in the mast to keep the hornets and wasps out though

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Climbing back up to connect the wires today. Fished them out yesterday :)

Nov 10, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Alum Creek State Park
My 25.5 also has the Perko steaming light pictured and is connected with only two wires.