Hi

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Flex cracks. The Fglass flexes and the gelcoat cracks. Fix the cracks. You can do it with gelcoat or any white epoxy. The .rudder damage is from banging it against the motor. Also superficial.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First, Solarfly is correct about the rudder hitting the motor and most probably not secured after sailing. Suggest that the tiller or wheel (This boat was optional for wheel steering) be secured so the rudder if left in the water is leaning to the port. You can also raise the rudder too if you go in that direction. In addition I would like to see a closer view of the rudder starboard side as I cannot tell if sacrificial gel coat damage or not. Another photo please.

Of the gel coat, it can be 1/8 to 3/16 inch deep. I would suggest drilling a 1/8 hole in the gel coat only to stop the cracks migrating any further on the stern. When repairing, I would fill with a two part epoxy and then prep to spray either white gel or some white spray of sort. Remember several things here. Gel coat takes a higher temp hardner vs. standard that you can buy at a hardware store. Secondly, if outside, you will need at least 64 degrees for it to dry. You will need to add PVA to the solution so a wax build up on top of that or something along that line will ensure the gel coat will dry as it will not dry in open air. Allow 24 hour dry time. You can use a Pre Val sprayer purchased at Sherwin Williams paint store as many do not stock it was a few years ago. You will have to thin the solution if spraying and make sure you get the correct solution; otherwise you will need to use acetone. As for the crack, you will need to dremel down to the glass.

When looking at the supplied photo, the cracks radiate from one area on the stern. I would think the stern got hit from there. Are you noticing any water under the rear berth near the bilge? If so the hull to deck joint seal is broken and has to be repaired by pulling the rubrail off. Me personally I would remove to inspect but the decision will be yours to make. Let us know if there is any water coming from the stern