Hunter 240 trailer problems

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Looks to be 5 stud wheels, plenty enough for that weight, but from the picture axle tube looks light in size, and most likely rusted in the middle from being in the water once too many times. Shouldn't be a big fix, buy a stock width axle that has the same is spring centre bolt to centre bolt measurement and away you go. No need to make this repair any more complicated by looking for a vin #, it's simple, not brain surgery!

Dec 31, 2016
Yes it looked rusted especially in the middle[/QU
If you were only moving it a few miles, a temporary fix would be to install a 'splint' down the length ,between the springs, but only as a last resort. An axle replacement should be a very simple procedure,even with the boat on it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The hull number and vin number were provided in a private message. The hull number is that of the last of th 23.5 sailboats but have asked a current owner of a 240 to advise the two numbers following HUN AS THAT WILL TELL ME FOR SURE. In addition the trailer guides gave what I thought that it was a trailer built by Hunter Marine. So the trailer is correct. As for the VIN number on the title work, it would appear that he was given the wrong title work. Only the tag ID on the trailer will confirm. To make a long story short he had a correct trailer but probably th wrong title work. There is a way around that.

This is a drop down single axle trailer with the frame cross bars welded in a V which may be deceiving for a bent axle. Not sure. I asked the poster to call as I wanted to ask other questions as arthritis is starting to hurt typing. I would then call NC asking for photos of the axle and a simple measurement first to eliminate a bent axle theory and secondly the axle is aligned correctly eliminating that.

If all is normal at that point, questions like age of tires, dry rot, proper air pressure at cold temp when filled, radius of tire and rim, size of tire and so forth to be able to determine what was occurring. Also was the bost used for carrying household goods back to NY needed to be asked as that would add extra weight. Yes I saw that in the past.

I have given the poster my number to call me as my dealership use to covered both North Carolina and South Carolina as I know who to call to assist but now retired 8 hours away In fact one friend of mine has a sister in lumberton, NC. Until I hear from the poster there is not much else I can do. One thing during the last hurricane to hit there tore up the area

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If you are going to get the parts (mainly a new axle) to do yourself, you need to think about this stuff. I assume you are not near the boat and can't check this stuff.
  • Assume it has surge brakes with drums. The drum brake assembly (back side) probably bolts to a square bracket on the axle ends with 4 studs fixed to the back of the brake, or they may be bolts that go through the brake. You'll have to verify you can get the nuts off the back of the axle brackets - likely a lot of rust if your axle really rusted through. If you have an older brake that uses bolts (not studs welded to the brake) you may need to remove the wheel from the brake (via lug nuts) and then the brake drum from the back part of the brake by removing what is probably a crown nut holding the bearings in. That would give you access to the bolt heads of those 4 bolts. I had to cut mine off as a few could not be loosened even with a lot of PB Blaster and a propane torch. I needed to use an angle grinder, and it was a PITA. It is possible you will need all new brakes; not hard to get but keep that in mind as you may have to mail order. If you do get the axle and then can't remove the old brakes without destroying the, you're stuck anyway to move the boat.
    upload_2019-1-12_16-20-22.png

upload_2019-1-12_16-25-58.png

• If like my H23 KWS brand trailer, it has the spindles as part of the axle, and uses the EZ Lube spindles. I think you may have to make sure you get an axle that has a spindle that matches your bearings. You may need altogether new bearings, or at least some parts (like the tab washer that holds the crown nut on the EZ Lube). I would think you could bring the brake drum to a garage to have the bearings redone (new races and bearings installed) if needed, as it might be hard to do without tools and a workplace (like, not on the side of a field somewhere).
  • If you are lucky you can remove the wheels, take the brake drum/back off the spindle and axle mount but leave it hooked to the hydraulic lines, put in new axle, reattach brakes and wheels, and go. If not, and you need to unhook the hydraulics or install new brakes, plan on having to bleed the brakes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@isaksp00
Good info. Ken who owned Kens Welding /KWS was a friend. Not sure exactly of the time line but if memory serves me, Ken died and Hunter took over building the trailers. Ron Frisosky and I were asked how to design but old age foggs my memory now except for the fenders that use to shake off and bearings that failed which is why I added Timpken bearings to the 23 trailer

The big issue is finding someone competent in the area as the Lumberton area was devestated in the past 2-3 years

Dec 31, 2016
Would it be earthier to buy the whole thing. Something like that
That's the way to go! Never mind the hassle of trying to match up parts, axles aren't that costly and the new replacement will be great for many years.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
This looks exactly like my trailer before I put tandem axles on it.

The axles that came on those trailers were not galvanized and if it were dunked in salt water periodically it would be amazing that it was still intact at all at this point.

All of the components are standard sizes and available off the shelf except for the drop axle. I could get a straight axle but had to get one made to get the same drop.

Once you get into it is not worth putting the old stuff back on. Were it mine I'd cut the bolts that hold the springs on using a rip saw "Sawzall". Even if you can get the nut off the bolt is corroded into the spring eye and a real bitch to get out. Then it is very straight forward.

The axle has three critical measurements:
1. the distance from spring center to spring center
2. the distance from hub face to hub face
3. the drop from the spring to the spindle

If you are making this trip again in the future you may want to consider a tandem axle conversion or upgrading to a #5,000 axle.

I know this all is of little value until you can find someone to work on it. If pictures of my setup would be of any value let me know.

Dec 31, 2016
This looks exactly like my trailer before I put tandem axles on it.

The axles that came on those trailers were not galvanized and if it were dunked in salt water periodically it would be amazing that it was still intact at all at this point.

All of the components are standard sizes and available off the shelf except for the drop axle. I could get a straight axle but had to get one made to get the same drop.

Once you get into it is not worth putting the old stuff back on. Were it mine I'd cut the bolts that hold the springs on using a rip saw "Sawzall". Even if you can get the nut off the bolt is corroded into the spring eye and a real bitch to get out. Then it is very straight forward.

The axle has three critical measurements:
1. the distance from spring center to spring center
2. the distance from hub face to hub face
3. the drop from the spring to the spindle

If you are making this trip again in the future you may want to consider a tandem axle conversion or upgrading to a #5,000 axle.

I know this all is of little value until you can find someone to work on it. If pictures of my setup would be of any value let me know.
Good advice, If the op has the time and money, tandem is the best for sure,(I wouldn't go 5000lb axles for the tandem though, too stiff and will shake the shit out the boat). Tandems will take a lot of down force off the tow vehicle when the road is not as smooth as we'd like it.I see you're towing with a Sedona, max tow cap is only 3500 for that anyway.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The only other thing to say is it would take two people safely to put on another axle and finding competent people where the boat and trailer are is going to be hard unless you get lucky. Lumberton was devastated last year and the year before due to hurricanes.
Good luck

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Sorry, late to the discussion... I can confirm the boat in question is definitely a 240 based on the stern and rudder, and the trailer is original. It looks identical to my 1998 240 trailer, including the squared-off fenders that were changed in later years. My trailer lists Hunter as the manufacturer on the VIN plate, and the VIN begins with 1H9HS, and the first 3 characters should be the code for Hunter.
Finally, I have Hunter's parts list for the H240 trailer- will post that file later. But here is the spec for the axle:
PH4261 AX [BENT] 2X3X93.5TR 73-3/8SC 10" BRK

Maybe someone can decode this- I think 10" is the brake size. SC is likely the distance for the spring centers (73 3/8"), and 93.5 may be the hub to hub distance? Not sure on the 2X3 - may be the diameter or drop?
Hope this helps-

Last edited:

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
The part number will definitely help. The problem is that i am not sure that all the parts are original and the trailer was not rebuilt. In fact when I bought the boat the I've been told that I cannot tow it in NY because it's over 2000 pounds and there are no brakes so the local mechanic installed brakes. He said he didn't do anything with axel.
Anyway thanks to everybody for help I still cannot find anybody there even to look at the trailer and the plan is to go there in the end of march with my son and fix it myself. I'll keep everybody updated with development of the story