Hunter 240 engine size

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
Hi Guys,

Currently have a 240 with 8 hp Nissan that I will be looking to upgrade. As far as weight and power does anyone know what the specs are for the Hunter 240? What length shaft is best?

I sail in the Palm Beach area and a 12 knot wind is fairly common and the tide does get rolling even in the intracoastal. Have been able to make headway on even the rougher days, but still wanting to move up as much as I can. I realize more motor costs more money but that is to be expected.

Looking forward to see what everyone else is running.
Thanks in advance,
Ron

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Two or four stroke? Type of prop but if you do no know, post a photo here. Finally, length of shaft? Is it short,long or extra long? Type of fuel used, ethanol or ethanol free? Then you can get a better response

Former Hunter dealer

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
Hey Dave,
Glad you jumped in as I know your name. Definitely want to go gas, just the old man in me. As far as 2 or 4 stroke I am thinking 2 (though I have a love for the 4) because I am looking for less weight and should be able to get more HP per pound.
The Hunter 26 says 8 to 10hp in the manual, and I am assuming that both hulls use the same bracket.

I am going to repost, and tighten up the question after reading your response.

Is anyone running a long shaft motor 2 or 4 stroke larger than 10 hp on their boat, and is there any draw backs?

Thanks again,
Ron

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The transom is rated up to a 10 hp. Anything over that is way too much as you would see the bow raise up and start plowing thus slowing you down. In addition, if you have to add oil to the gas, you have a two stroke engine. I was asking about the current engine on your boat. I will reread tomorrow or Saturday.

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
Sorry about that Dave, I read the question differently. I have a 1998 (same year as boat) Nissan 8hp two stroke with a 20" shaft. Believe it or not, it is the actual one that rolled out of the showroom floor on the transom.

With what I have from you and the ratings from Hunter, anything over 10 is to much.
Still would be interesting to see what other people are running.

Story from the past, had a 1980 25 foot fin keel spade rudder, and when I had to move it from launch to dock put a 22 hp on it for the trip. Was funny watching the looks as we were passing some power boats. Ahh... the fun days when we were broke, young and dumb.

Have a great day,

Ron

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
If you have not already, try a lower pitch prop with your current motor, could make a big difference.
As for my 240, running a '98 8HP Honda 4-stroke, with a 7" pitch prop. Plenty of power, but I'm on an inland lake with no tides or currents.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have a 23 with a Honda 8 and IMHO don't think any more HP would make it go through the water any faster. Plus that motor (4 stroke as are all Honda) is kind of heavy already. If you have a long shaft now and it "ain't broke" you may want to consider keeping it.

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
It's funny, i haven't even looked at small motors since back in the 90's. They are a little pricey these days, especially when you add electric start, charging and controls.
I am a lover of the 4 strokes in every application except this one. As you mentioned, the weight is higher on the 4 strokes and for how little time these motors actually run (and how little noise they make) I can handle a 2 stroke if they are even still made.

Thank you for all your input. I will keep you updated with how I go and how it runs.

Regards,

Ron

Mar 27, 2010
Hunter 240 Branched Oak Lake, NE
Ron, I upgraded to a Mercury 8hp, long shaft, 4-cycle a few years ago and couldn't be happier with how it handles my 240. I'm on an inland lake, so I have no current obviously, but I do frequently have to maneuver through some very strong gusts, and this motor makes it easy.

I upgraded to the 8 from a 6 because I wanted the electric start because of some back problems. I'm glad I did. It weighs about 80 lbs, I believe, but doesn't affect the performance of the boat. I take the motor off when trailering.

Best of luck!
Jeff