Hunter 240 Centerboard Repair - Rest on Trailer without Centerboard?

May 17, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Murray
H240_centerboard.jpg
H240_centerboard.jpg I recently purchased a Hunter 240 and need to drop the centerboard to repair a crack. The boat yard has a lift where I can lift her up and drop the centerboard then she will have to go back on my trailer while I repair the crack.

I read a post from Crazy Dave that you have to be careful with boat stands so I am wanting to know if it is okay to set the Hunter 240 back onto the trailer without the centerboard supporting some of the weight?

I could put some wood blocks under the area of the centerboard if needed.

Thank you for any advise.

Austin Lake Murray SC

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
On the 240 and 260 & their predecessors the centreboards do not and should not support any of the boats weight as it can damage the centreboard trunk. Having it lifted, centreboard removed, and then dropping it back on the trailer should work fine.

You might as well take advantage while it’s off to redo the lines and check all the bracket components.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus:

Normally the trailer supports the centerboard so the centerboard doesn't stress the pivot point. The centerboard does not then support the boat. On my Mariner 19, there is a pin to lock the CB in the up position. This pin should not be used while trailering, it is too light weight. The pin is for long term storage, used when in a slip or on a mooring, to take pressure off the CB cable. The Boat is designed to support The centerboard, but the centerboard is not designed to support the boat I'm sure @Crazy Dave Condon would tell you the same thing.
Are you on bunks or rollers? Bunks spread the support out more. Rollers are more likely to dent the hull.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The centerboard is appx 110pounds primarily to help when lowered in simple terms to keep the boat from slipping sideways. The ballast is in the water. A keel boat is different as it provides ballast and the boat can sit on the trailer via keel on a stout keel tray with the bunk boards holding it up sideways.

The 240 is designed to rest on the bunk boards and not by a keel tray. So the centerboard will not support the 240 when on stands.

I use to put the 240 on stands but on four stands each side chained together In pairs with the water ballast out. Some try 2 or three each side and there are consequences. One thing to watch is the hull from oil canning which standswill have to be relocated. Thump the hull to find the thickest hull section.

As for putting back on the trailer that is your call but that would be fine. Good time to change out the uphaul line if needed

When on the trailer, relax the uphsul line to allow the centerboard to rest on the keel tray provided. What many tend to forget when in an up position, that board is waffling back and forth wearing it out around the pin plus the head is being weakened where the uphaul line is attached.

When lifting any boat on a lift always tie right coming the straps together to prevent them off. Remember the bow and stern of any sailboat hull is curved upwards

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with owner. Plans to remove board and to stand up to dry out with boat being stored back on trailer. Will discuss repair later but advise to run messenger line.