HUNTER 23 Replacing Jib Winches

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All -
New to the forum! My boat is a Hunter 23 1986. I've already repainted the full deck as well as replaced all the deck teak - we are loving the boat so there are
a couple upgrades I want to do and all help is super appreciated :

1 - I'm looking to replace the current jib winches on my H23 and would like to put on 2 #6 Harkens. Will the Harkens fit? And should I buy need any hardware or do the Harkens come with all needed to attach to the boat? The current Winches work fine but look extremely weathered. Also they bolt directly into the boat with a wood backing plate inside the cabin.

2 - I'm also looking to upgrade the jib sheet pulleys. Either just by buying new plastic interior wheels (if I can find them) or replacing the whole assembly.

3 - Next I am debating tearing all of the 1980's brown carpet off the interior cabin and
simply sanding off the glue and painting bright white topside paint to the interior - anyone out there who has done this? Is it a good solution rather then re-carpeting?

Thank you!

Attachments

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Not sure if the winches will be a drop in replacement, probably won't. It's easy enough to fill the existing holes and drill new ones. I would get rid of the wood backing plate and replace it with either aluminum or stainless. It's easier to replace the whole pulley, but the wheels (sheaves) may be available from (Jamestown Distributors). Personally I would re-carped. Chances are the FG panels the existing carpet is glued too will need lots of cosmetic work to get them looking good and ready for paint. The paint will amplify any blemishes in the FG surface, and it won't end up looking like the inside of a Clorox bottle.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I suggest recarpeting inside as it helps to keep condensation from forming on the enteriour walls.
Measure the top surface and if hole patterns fit into that area, do what Finefurn suggested.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
1. I think a little metal polish would fix those winches up fine.... there's no point in replacing them unless you're upgrading to self tailing.... or want a larger winch... in which case you can move the old ones to the cabin top for your halyards. New winches don't come with fasteners or backing plates. If you do change... use the existing wood backing plate and mount it as it is now.. there's no need to put it on a pedestal unless you don't like the angle coming from the jib lead block (not pulley, btw)

2. If you really want a practical upgrade...take the money you were going to spend on the new winches and install a 2-3 foot track with sliding car .. so you can move the jib leads for better headsail better trim. As far as the existing block..don't try replacing just the sheave.... better to get a whole new block.... about $20 buck apiece a Harken Bullet.

3. Nix on adding new carpet. I got rid of mine years ago...keeps the boat cleaner and it actually looks better. On that size of a boat... it will make the inside seem larger also. Topside paint will work for the interior deck... but you might try reconditioning the existing liner.... you'd be surprised how easy it may be to bring it back to life.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Agree with Joe. And, if perhaps the problem with the winches is that the barrels are slippery (worn slick) you can consider replacing the barrels only or you can take them to a machine shop and have them resurface them (bead blast) so that they have some "tooth" to better grab the line.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
THANKS All for the info and help. This forum is great.
I bought a set of the harken 39mm jib lead blocks and will put them on this friday. My wife and I climb all over the deck so I'll hold on the rails for a couple of seasons.

Great tips guys and Ill give the polish a try on the winches/see how that goes and take them to a machine shop if they dont shine up well. I'll save a bunch of cash that way too and I think the winches would look better if i can find replacementss for the top rubber O-rings.

Any recommendations on what metal polish to use?

As to the carpet - I'm going to go for it - removing it all bc I dont think steam/clean will do it - the previous owner scrubbed it as best he could and it's passable - but I think its going to look super sharp fully white. I did a test area and the carpet glue comes off with a course grit sandpaper then smooth it out with a finer grit. Also I'll do the job over 3 days before winterizing the boat aand definately post photos.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
THANKS All for the info and help. This forum is great.
I bought a set of the harken 39mm jib lead blocks and will put them on this friday. My wife and I climb all over the deck so I'll hold on the rails for a couple of seasons.
You mean the tracks? Not seeing your reasoning.. the tracks are about 1/4" high... with one block on a movable slider. Aluminum T track from Garhauer for $11.25/ ft. A track car and block from the same company is $50.
Add $15 for fasteners and for under $200 you'll have a very slick addition that will improve your sailing.
Great tips guys and Ill give the polish a try on the winches/see how that goes and take them to a machine shop if they dont shine up well. I'll save a bunch of cash that way too and I think the winches would look better if i can find replacementss for the top rubber O-rings.

Any recommendations on what metal polish to use?
Lots of folks use this:
The wax will help the rubber also...you can get it at an automotive store... Amazon sells it for under $15. WM wants $22.. !!!!

As to the carpet - I'm going to go for it - removing it all bc I dont think steam/clean will do it - the previous owner scrubbed it as best he could and it's passable - but I think its going to look super sharp fully white. I did a test area and the carpet glue comes off with a course grit sandpaper then smooth it out with a finer grit. Also I'll do the job over 3 days before winterizing the boat aand definately post photos.
Be carefull...do your research... most production boat interior deck liners are vinyl. Very durable. May be difficult to paint.