Hunter 23 Lake Ontario Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2010
Hunter 22 Cape Vincent NY
Let me know when you will be up this way. maybe we can get together. I'm usually on the boat weekends if the weather is nice. I sail out of Stony Point Marina on the south shore of Dablon Point. Its a few miles from Tibbetts Point Light. Speaking of light houses check out East Charity Shoals

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Will do, should be up the week of July 4th is all goes to plan. I'll keep you updated.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23 CSYC Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Canadian Rules on Porta Potty

You want to check this out. It is my understanding that Canadian regs require that a prota potty be install such that it cannot be removed without the use of tools. Canadian rules become effective when you enter Canadian waters. My porta potty is secured with plastic wire ties.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Ahh, Ill keep that in mind and zip-tie the porta, it's hidden underneath the v birth anyway, and if anyone asks, at least I'll have a response.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Woohoo

We finally got the Hunter out yesteday.

-Trailered it to the marine (~15 miles)
- Raised the mast with 3 people (not nearly as hard as all the complainers say)
-backed it into the water
-setup all the rigging
-went for a motor out of the harbor an back in!

I was just testing everything out, and since I don't have and hours on anything yet I played it safe. Waves were about 2.5 feet, and It was a little unnerving because water come up the cockpit drain hose to the point where I could see water in there.

I'm really glad I sealed the rudder mounts, because I had the rudder pretty good and submerged. But after we pulled the boat into the dock, I checked the bilge and I could see any water! woohoo.

Anyway it was tricky getting it back on the trailer (since I'm dry-sailing the boat it won't be left in the water) There's not quite enough water at the ramp, and I had trouble winching it up. I really need to back the truck up another foot or two, but then the rear wheels of the truck will be in the water, and I'm a bit nervous about that, since it's a 2wd truck.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a big F150. is it okay to back the rear tires into the water on the ramp a bit? Or will I risk slipping the rear tires (which are in very good shape).

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Fresh water, not a problem. Salt water, rinse your wheels well. It's the exhaust you want to keep out of the water. Slipping on a slimy ramp is always an issue.

Most trailers have a tongue that can be extended. It will give you anywhere from 4 to 6 extra feet. Check to see if your tongue extends.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
THanks for the feedback Greg.

Indeed the trailer does have a tongue extension, and it is fully extended. However the ramp is relatively shallow.

It's fresh water so maybe I can back in a bit more, but I just worry about slipping on the ramp and getting stuck, since it is pretty slippery. It's good to know that it's somewhat commonplace to back the rear wheels into the water a bit.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Shallow ramps are an issue. You might scout around for steeper ramps.

I have seen video on the racing boats with tall fixed keels attempting to launch on shallow ramps. They improve the wheel on the trailer stand and use a cable harness to extend the tongue even further. Not for the faint of heart.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
It's the only ramp the marina has so I don't really have a choice unfortunately. But it still works. I think if I go in another foot or so, and get a 1 foot trailer extension, we should be in pretty good shape.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
So excited to find this thread! I sailed my H23 across lake Ontario (due north from Rochester and back) with my father several years ago. We had two hours 6-8 foot swells and 45 knot winds about halfway across: there's no making progress in a 23 in that weather except downwind, but I had just a jib up, headed on a broad reach, and honestly felt safe enough with no fear of the boom gybing. Would I do it again? Probably not.

Where are you launching? The southernmost ramp at Charlotte beach is pretty good for launching a 23. Get/make a drawbar with a big drop (as low as you can get) for the ramp: it really does help if you need some extra aid. The boat gets hung up because the trailer is tilted "up" so much and the boat floats level. For non-highway use, leave the boat about 18" behind the winch post - this makes on/off a *lot* easier too. I once took a come along around the keel to a tree and dragged the boat backwards on the trailer before successfully launching on a shallow ramp. Winching it forward on the trailer after pulling it out, to go on the road, happened every time -> it's less work than backing in so far to get it located right on a bad ramp.
I also flipped my axles to spring-under-axle and added "baby stays" for mast raising: Making the boat launch easier was a bit of an obsession.

You have a different keel than I did: I'm pretty sure the wing keel launches better than the models w/ centerboard, but these tricks should still help

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Brian, that's awesome to hear! It's good to know someone has done it! I'm dry sailing out of Pultneyville, so luckily I don't have to raise/lower the mast all the time. I've figured out the trailer a little bit better.

I'm doing EXACTLY what you're talking about Brian, I leave the front winch cable out just a little bit. It will move a little bit back and forth, but it's on the bunks solidly, and it only moves about 20 feet in and out of the water.

I just need to get a new winch, so I don't have to worry about the cable breaking while winching the boat up.

Anyway, last weekend was our first proper overnight on the boat. We sailed about 26 miles round trip, to Sodus Bay, and stayed overnight at a little restaurant called Skipper's landing. Then in the morning got some breakfast at sodus point. The boat handled really well in ~10 mph wind. I'm sure I'll have no trouble sailing it up to the 1000 islands, but I may take the coastline to be safe. I'm surprised at how quick she motors under the Nissan outboard power, I was getting around 6.5 knots. I never got anymore than about 4 knots in my old Irwin 10.4 with a diesel engine. All in all not bad for the first time ever taking the boat out for a sail!

A photo of my Fiance and the 23 at the dock. We didn't really plan on making it all the way to Sodus bay, so we didn't bring the proper blanket, and we FROZE when it got down to 40 degrees. Luckily we had the dog to keep us warm :laugh:

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
familiar seas!

Howdy-

I used to sail my H26 out of PYC. Where do you launch? We also kept our boat in Sackett's Harbor for a couple years, wintered in Sodus, and used to sail it back and forth in the spring/fall. I would suggest sailing P'ville to Oswego, with a stop in Sodus or Fair Haven. Get a good weather day with a fresh high and leave early in the morning. You'll reach protection behind Galoo and Stony Island in about 30 miles. Until then it's open water, so leave when the forecast is for calm seas and little if any wind. Bring enough gas. Make sure you have a compass and even better a gps. Don't worry about sailing this day, there will be plenty of sailing when you reach the islands. If you get to Henderson and the weather is still good you might as well take an extra half hour to go into Sacketts. There's much more of a town there. Great place with great restaurants, shops, etc. Then it's an easy, nice sail up to Kingston or Cape Vincent and into the Islands. God's country with more to explore than you can fit into one summer.

Have a blast!!!

-gf-

Dougo

Nov 22, 2010
Hunter 23 Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
I spent some time near you (Sodus Bay) and on the lake with a 48' schooner. Born & raised (and still live in) in Webster, now sail in the ADK's. Ontario can be a force to be reckoned with, even with a big boat! I have a H23 now, and I'm pretty happy on a relative large inland lake - nothing compared to the Great Lakes, but we have our challenges. What you have in mind is perfectly doable (my H23 lived on Sodus Bay before I bought her). Just respect the lake and be careful! Fair winds to you!

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Thanks for the input guys!

GF: I launch right at the ramp at PYC, it's a little rough but it does the job.

My plan is starting to sound very similar to the suggestions.

This past weekend we sailed up Oswego. When the wind died, we motored for 2+ hours on a tank of gas. It ended up being the equivalent of 18mpg. Not bad! That being said, I'd rather have overly calm seas and have to motor, rather than have overly heavy winds, and be in trouble.

I'm also on the lookout for a storm Jib. With a light enough headsail, we'll have alot more confidence in higher (15+knot) winds.

The 80 mile trip really helped us get used to the boat though. Oswego was alot of fun too.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Just crewed for the scotch-bonnet race last weekend. Not on my boat. 84 mile overnight passage. It was pretty incredible. Anyway, it makes me way a chute ;).

Anyone want to offer me a how-to on how to get a spinnaker for my boat? A cheap chute, and a spinnaker pole of some sort. I'm open to creative suggestions :)

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
This Friday is the day! We're setting off from Pultneyville NY to the 1000 islands. My tentative plan is to sail up to Oswego, and then cut north to the mouth of the St Lawrence. However, if conditions are nearly perfect, I may consider sailing directly across the lake 50 miles. If it's completely flat, I'm not opposed to motoring straight there in the interest of time, since I practically get 20mpg when it's flat anyway. I figure we should be up to the St Lawrence by Sunday night unless the weather really takes a turn for the worse.

Can't wait!

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Enjoy! I wish I was able to go cruising this year! Keep us posted so we can vicariously cruise the 1000 Islands with you.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Have a great trip! By the way, a stop in Sackets is totally worth it. One of the best stops on the Lake. Many years ago, we kept our boat there for a couple summers. I now sail out of GYC. What boat were you on for the SBLR?

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Have a great trip! By the way, a stop in Sackets is totally worth it. One of the best stops on the Lake. Many years ago, we kept our boat there for a couple summers. I now sail out of GYC. What boat were you on for the SBLR?
Everyone keeps mentioning sackets. We're definitely going to try to stop there on the way back.

I was on Dulcinea, Eric Mattson's Macgreggor 36. That boat is a BLAST. It's hard to get excited about 5 knots after crewing on his boat:)

Status
Not open for further replies.