Hunter 23 Lake Ontario Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Lake Champlain is one area I am really looking forward to going to at some point. I have been to lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake George & of course Owasco Lake(my home port). It's the primary reason I bought a trailersailor for a boat. I have heard the water is somewhat dirtier in Champlain, have you found this to be true?

Also looking forward to finding Champ. :dance:

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Not sure where you're located. but for the last 3 years we've hauled our boat up to Lake Champlain. It's big enough to have a Great Lakes feel about it, and can get plenty exciting. It also has a lot of interesting places to go, and lot's of opportunity to find sheltered anchorages for the night.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We used to have a Catalina 22 for a few years then moved up to a Catalina 25. We sailed the C22 on Clear Lake, the biggest natural lake in California, for a few summers, and had some violent weather a few days. Sailing on just jib or main worked in those conditions, one Labor Day weekend hunkered down behind an island on the anchor. We sailed our C25 out the Golden Gate down the coast to Half Moon Bay twice and once 60 miles to Monterey.

As noted, weather is obviously an issue, and I understand back East weather can change a lot more quickly than it does out here.

Your boat can do it.

However, I would redirect your "underwater concerns" about thru hulls completely the opposite: your more immediate priorities should be your sails and rigging. You should be able to reef from the safety of the cockpit, or at least have a jib downhaul so you can shorten sail easily.

Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated is a great book for small boat sailors. While this is for a C22, it could apply to your boat, too. See the attached page here:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=740457&highlight=Pat Royce

No reason you can't cross the lake in good conditions, just do a speed and distance calculation to figure how early you have to start out in the morning to make it before dark! :)

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Thanks! This is the type of advice I was looking for! I know that it is possible, but I want to have a frame of reference for what I'm really talking about.

Paying more attention to the rigging makes way more sense! I plan to add some clutches for the halyards, right next to the companionway, in order to be able to drop the sails quickly.

It's really a superstition more than an engineering concern when it comes to thru-hulls I guess, it just makes me feel better knowing that I don't have to check them, but It's not really true.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

-Troy

P.S. Ill definitely look into the book!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Lake Champlain is one area I am really looking forward to going to at some point. I have been to lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake George & of course Owasco Lake(my home port). It's the primary reason I bought a trailersailor for a boat. I have heard the water is somewhat dirtier in Champlain, have you found this to be true?

Also looking forward to finding Champ. :dance:

Brad
s/v KIVALO
We found it to be really clean in most parts when we've been there. FWIW, there is a cruising guide for lake Champlain from here that was invaluable to have. Same company publishes a set of charts in book form.

http://www.lakechamplainpub.com/Lake_Champlain.htm

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Great to hear from another person with a similar boat in the area! Sounds like no matter what, you better be pretty comfortable with the boat in a variety of conditions to make any trip of any real distance.

I'm really looking forward to it though!

P.S. I'm from just east of Rochester, so I'm not far from you. I don't have any intention of trailering my boat, other than to dry sail it in order to save from costly docking fees. I'm a true believer in sailing your boat to the destination.

I think it comes from my motorcycling ethos, which is very anti-trailer. It defeats the purpose just the same in both scenarios. It would be a great experience to sail lake champlain though!
I realized you were right near the lake after I made my post. Ours is in a slip on Cayuga Lake in Ithaca. Champlain is usually done on a week's trip to change things up some. It has definitely made better sailers out of us.

Jun 28, 2009
hunter 23 Lake Hefner
Maybe Mark Major can chime in. He's done alot of open water in the gulf going from the Keys to the Dry Tortolas. Quite a trip in a '23 if you ask me. He's chronicled it here on HOF. You should search the archives and see what problems he ran into.

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
Maybe Mark Major can chime in. He's done alot of open water in the gulf going from the Keys to the Dry Tortolas. Quite a trip in a '23 if you ask me. He's chronicled it here on HOF. You should search the archives and see what problems he ran into.
Hi Pepto,
Could you give a link to Mark's post? I'd love to read it, but can't seem to find it. I've done the Keys to Dry T. in a 42 foot, but...
-Chris
(Sorry to steal the thread.)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys,

So I've got it in my head that I want to make the Hunter 23 my "pocket cruiser". I have plans this summer to do a 300+ mile sail over the course of about 10 days.

I'm wondering: how well suited is the Hunter 23 for a lake crossing? It's a solid 60 miles or so directly across the lake. I'm experienced with my old Irwin (which was just too costly and arduous to run).

I love the reliability of having no thru-hulls (below water line), no keel mechanism, simple outboard. Only the basics to worry about reliability-wise. So in that regard, I'm fairly confident.

However, lake Ontario is essentially open water, so from a sailing characteristics point of view, what are people's opinions? The hunter is light on ballast from my point of view.
Has anyone else done similar cruising with small boats?

I'm looking forward to at least doing alot of coastal pocket-cruising if nothing else!

Thanks!
-Troy

Just be aware of the weather, Lake Ontario, as any of the Great Lakes, can throw some nasty stuff at you very quickly.

This was an account of the Lake Ontario 300 from 2010, where several boats were damaged and had to retire after a sudden squall came through.

So far 30+ boats have abandoned race, 2 capsizes, 1 sunken boat, one dismasted, and dozens and dozens with sail and rig damage

http://www.sailboatcruise.ca/2010/0...00-lo300-ends-on-first-day-for-black-diamond/

http://www.lo300.org/archives/2183

Aug 24, 2010
Hunter 22 Cape Vincent NY
Probably best to head toward Oswego before crossing. Maybe even Mexico point after that there is no place to take a sailboat into until you get to Henderson Harbor. Get a good chart of the east end of the lake and the upper st Lawrence. Henderson Harbor is pretty well protected from nasty weather. But there are issues getting in there from the main lake. Shoals, low bridges and rocks. You would definitely need a chart . Sackets Harbor is easier to get into. North of there there are more inlets and islands. Long Point State park has a nice little marina. I've had my boat in there. I would not go in the lee of Fox island.

Aug 24, 2010
PS the town dock at Cape Vincent is free and you can stay 48 hours. Also the holding is good inside the breakwall.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Thanks guys for the links guys! I'm going to read through all of it.

Jass: That's what I'm thinking now, heading over to Oswego first. It doesn't cost me much distance anyway, and it gives us alot more opportunities to rest.

I'm going to be using my paper charts, as well as the activecaptain.com android app from a waterproof android tablet. Ill check out the dock at cape vincent for sure, I met a friend at the dock you're talking about, and it was really nice! I plan to make it back there for sure. Also planning to make a stop at an island with a park I believe it was called eagle island? It was pretty awesome, with great facilities.

I can tell you guys how much I appreciate the feedback!

Aug 24, 2010
I think you are refering to Cedar island State park between Abay and Morristown. Check out Cedar Point State park between Cape Vincent and Clayton if you get a chance.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Actually I just looked it up, and the place we visited is canoe point, at picnic Island. I highly recommend it.

But thanks for giving me your recommendations as well! We'll definitely look into them!

Ill take all the thousand-islands cruising recommendations I can get!

Aug 24, 2010
I may have to check out canoe point myself. Its been a while since I've been over that way, I've been avoiding the border area. Since the US has tightened up security, Canada has done the same.

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
Yeah, how do they handle that exactly? What if you just want to cruise through, but not touch land? Do you need to call your passport into the coast guard? Not that there isn't more than enough to keep me busy on the US side of the island for a week.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2010
The big horror story was about a fisherman from the US side fishing in Canada. He was not anchored and he had a Canadian fishing license. Got his boat impounded and a stiff fine for not calling in. The politicians got involved and I believe things have calmed down some but I'm not familiar with going back and forth across the border. There is a Customs officer at Cape Vincent at the ferry dock. He would have a lot better info. Also you could go online to Canadian border protection or whatever they call it over there and get their rules and regs.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I think the fisherman story was retaliation by Canada Customs for US Customs upping the entry requirments into the US, which has been ongoing back and forth since 911.

From Waterdown Daily Times, June 21, 2011

The State Department said this morning that Canadian border officers had the law on their side when they seized an American fisherman's boat and fined him $1,000 for fishing in Canadian waters without registering at customs. In fact, they could have made him pay more, the department said. In a statement, the State Department said the Canadian Border Services Agency was acting within “longstanding regulations” by penalizing Roy M. Anderson, the Thousand Island Park resident who was snagged by Canadian officers while fishing, unanchored, in a favorite spot in the Gananoque Narrows. All foreign boaters must report to Canadian authorities upon arrival in Canadian waters regardless of whether they anchor their boats, the State Department said, echoing the Canadian government's position. North country boaters have long been under the impression that they did not have to report unless they anchored. But the only exception, according to the State Department, is for boaters traveling through Canadian waters from one U.S. point to another — and without stopping along the way. “Intransit movement must be continuous, uninterrupted and without delays or stop-overs

So it looks as though, if you are sailing continuous, you can cross over the border and back again without reporting in. The problem occurs if you stop in one spot as you would while fishing. All technical parts of the law and the above may have been an example made by Canadian officials to prove a point?

Jul 14, 2010
Hunter 23 Pultneyville
I kind of figured that was the case Scott. That's good info to have while sailing that area though, since it is very easy to cross over the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.