Hunter 23.5 VANTAGE

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
FDC0FED6-B445-4C45-BE7C-2B2E809FB26A.jpeg
Anyone with a 23.5 Hunter, will you take a photo of your trailer with reference to any roller on an upright support behind the trailer winch stand. I want to comment on SkookumZac's trailer as a weld broke and the strap should not be there. To be blunt, I was against that as the roller impeded the loading of the 23.5 onto the trailer. I went for a lowered roller. @Kermit do you have a picture of your 260 trailer that you can share. I think you have what I am talking about.
Zoom in on this picture. The roller is use instead of the god-forsaken-stalk-roller lays flat on the trailer. It works quite well.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Here are the best photos of the 23.5 trailer roller I found. The boat is parked for future sale if I find the time. The boat never sat on the trailer forward enough to touch the roller.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... The boat never sat on the trailer forward enough to touch the roller.
It might be time to review "THE BUMP".

When the mast is taken down but before you strap on the ratchet straps for the road trip... you get up to about 5 mph and then slam on the breaks. The boat should slide up into the roller stop. That is called "THE BUMP". I used to call it a MacGregor Bump but Uncle Crazy Dave corrected me. It is "The Hunter Bump". Some might incorrectly call it the Catalina Bump or O'Day Bump... ;)

On the other hand, if your trailer tongue weight is correct where the boat presently sits, then move the roller stop back until it touches the bow. You really want to snug that baby down before you get out on the highway with her.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
@PropellerHead
Your photo of the boat is a 240 which I recognize the Boarding ladder and the step platform which the 23.5 did not have. The hull number will definetly tell along with the forward hatch if you can post a photo of that. Look @SkookumZac boat to the stern boarding ladder as it is different that of a 23.5. I was not clear on your post.
Yes. I guess I wasn't clear that I was posting a pic of the 240 stern to show how it was different from Zac's 23.5.

My trailer has no roller behind the winch stand. I've thought about adding one. Seemed to me that the roller would help get the bow up higher on the bow stop and reduce the effect of the boat rolling back on the bunks when you pull the trailer out of the water.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@PropellerHead
Over the years I hated those rollers. When the boat is on the trailer, the support is on the bunk boards and supports which need to be monitored. The roller that high in cases makes it more difficult to load and unload. I was never a fan of that but opted for a lower roller like on Kermit's H 260 but really found no need. That high roller also if not adjusted already correctly will put stress on the hull paticuraly when resting higher off the bunk boards putting pressure on the back of the hull resting on the bunk boards. I have repaired damage from that. It is the winch stand that supports the bow. In cases Hunter added the white plastic to the crossbeam in front of the keel tray at my request if the bow were ever to hit that trailer beam but never for me. If a very steep ramp, I would be a little cautious.

If anyone with a Hunter 23.5 trailer, please post what you have for the roller.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
folks, remember ideally that 10% of the entire weight of the boat, trailer, motor and gear should be on the hitch for safety reasons and one is preventing swaying and another should the boat come off the towing hitch ball.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Kermit,
Gigging fork time you rascal. Get back with me week after next about AC. Have to till up for a garden, weed eat a quarter mile driveway and then garage clean up todday. Yesterday was great to work in over that embank on my mountain but that was a pain in the posterior end where the sunshine does not shine. See ya.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Update!

So, I went through all of this trouble to get the perfect trailer sailor. Then I launched the boat a few times and decided it was for the birds. The boat ramps around here are just crazy busy and just a little shallow and we were spending too much time rigging and launching and trying to find parking and recovering and derigging and just... not enough time sailing.

So...

20190406_174933.jpg

We got a slip!

Now we go sailing every weeekend--sometimes on weekdays, even! Good bang for the buck, I think. There is a problem tho... I have a list a mile long of repairs and upgrades she needs, but every time I drive to the marina, I get on the boat, and go sailing instead :rolleyes:

-Z

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
A slip is the way to go. Ive put the mast up and down more times than I would prefer. It takes me and my first mate about 2-2.5 hours to set up in the spring launch, And about 2 hours to break it down in the fall. I wouldn't want to do that every time I used the boat.

Vantage looking good by the way