Hunter 23.5 Swing Keel Question

Aug 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Minneapolis MN
I am considering buying a Hunter 23.5. The boat is in generally very good condition. The one cause for concern is that both the rudder and keel show signs of having been run aground. Both have received very rough patch work. The thing that is of greatest concern is that there are cracks in the hull near the forward part of the keel slot. I am attaching a photo. The crack of most concern is that along the left side of the photo - it appears to be rather substantial. I am concerned that when it ran aground there may have been damage to the pivot and the surrounding hull. Unfortunately, I can't get a good look at this area because it is sitting on the trailer. Has anyone had any issues with this area of the hull? Thanks!

Attachments

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
Welcome to the forum! Good job and good find, to crawl under and get that photo. Under Boat Info on this site above, you can navigate to a Hunter 23.5/26 manual that will show details of the swing keel and trunk. You can also investigate from above in the cabin while on the trailer - there is a cover under the table where the compression post goes down into the keel trunk and if you can get in, you might be able too see more while still on the trailer. Take pictures from that view, too, if you can get in there. I think the right answer will be to get it on stands or a sling, drop the keel down and out of the boat (also a great procedure posted - not impossible, but a substantial job), and inspect and repair, though. Let's see what some others say.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Over the years of selling and repairing the 23.5, cracks pictured here were simply gel coat, not fiberglass issues but Jeffclown is correct to try and get more photos to be sure. If in the slings, do tie the slings together on each side of the boat so they will not slip off from the hull. If on stands, chain the stands sideways so they too will not kick out.

Aug 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Minneapolis MN
Thanks for the replies. Due to distances involved getting it in a sling or on stands is going to be a bit problematic. I will see what I can work out.

Aug 15, 2021
Hunter 23.5 PA
Sorry if this was addressed already. I have a Hunter 23.5 and noticed while snorkeling that the swing keel is hanging down about 30 percent even with the control line pulled tight. Earlier this summer I was snorkeling and it was up nice and tucked in to the hill in up position. Is there an adjustment I can make to the control line and block or will I need to replace hardware inside the hull?