hunter 23.5 ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Hello all My name is Gary ,i am looking at a Hunter 23.5 .

I live in Colo. so trailering it is a must ,I like the boat alot ,but am wondering about a bimni top and stern rails and catbird seats . Has anyone installed these ?

Are there any DIY boards on this site ?

Gary

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Gary, there are a lot of 23.5s in CO. I know because we had one. You can order the bimini from this site, and I think you can get retrofitted rail seats from Hunter. Since you are near the Anchorage, call them and ask for Sam. Good luck Chris

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Gary, there are a lot of 23.5s in CO. I know because we had one. You can order the bimini from this site, and I think you can get retrofitted rail seats from Hunter. Since you are near the Anchorage, call them and ask for Sam. Good luck Chris
Thanks for the reply , I just was talking with Sam yesterday , he said catbird or rail seating was a no go on this boat due to size .

You mean this site HunterOwner.com ?

Gary

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Thanks for the reply , I just was talking with Sam yesterday , he said catbird or rail seating was a no go on this boat due to size .

You mean this site HunterOwner.com ?

Gary
Also this boat needs the canvas for the hatch covering , it has the aluminum pole for it but no canvas .

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Many resources available on this site

Stern rails with seats are most definitely available by contacting Hunter directly. I will be taking on that project next spring. If you spend some time on this site, you will find several pix with that feature.

I'm fairly certain you can get a new companionway canvas through this site too.

Search the archives and you'll find lots of great information and accumulated wisdom. The posters here are also very helpful.

The 23.5 is a great trailerable cruiser. We have loved ours. We too live in the mountains (VT), so trailering was essential. You will not regret buying one.

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Thanks for the feedback . I will look into the stern rails ansd seats from Hunter .

'Wego' went for her maidan shake down yesterday ! Quite abit more boat than I'm used to , but all went well . We had steady 12 mph winds (steady is unusual ,gusts and sailing from gust to wind is the norm) she was very responsive and pointed high into the wind . The roller furling was stiff and didnt really work that well but we'll figure it out !

Also I've got to find away to secure the jib sheets without using the cleat , maybe a jam cleat next to the cleat ....?

The normal cleat might be fine on a two mile tack ,but on a gusty off and on agian lake it is ....teadious and slow .

Gary

Gary

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
You may want to consider PX Cleat for your jib sheets. They lock and unlock with a snap on the line, really cool. ;)

Attachments

Oct 19, 2006
Spinlock, for sure!

Glad to see you took the plunge & bought the 23.5. You will be very pleased.

Couldn't agree more about the crappy jib cleats. Spinlock powercleats are a "must" upgrade. It was the first upgrade I took on. Alan has posted a picture of the static base unit. Here's a link to a previous thread on it:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=157468

Personally, we felt the swivel base was also a must. Here's a link to the specific product (Spinlock PXR 0206 Cam Cleat w/ Swivel Base). You might shop around price-wise.

http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+splPXR0206SW

I have no connection to this specific seller.

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Thank you for the replys ! I want to learn this boat as I really like her ! Today I went out to tidy things up . I found some water in the bilge . Arrrggggghhh ! maybe 3/8 an inch on the port side under the bilge pump ans about the same under the port 1/4 berth . No water on the starboard side at all .

I put some bleach in it and with in two sponge fulls it was gone ........ Some acutaly evaporated between the two hours elapsed between discovery and sponging .....

Sam at the anchoge said it was probably the bottom gudgon , it did ride below the water on wed. So with luck abit of recaulking that will not be an issue .

The thing rides like a bobber ! With no sail up it blows around ,not a problem with you know it .... but no boat I owned B4 had such a high profile .

Gary

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
I really like the looks of the spinlock swivel cleats !

Do I understand they will directly replace the jam cleats ? (the jam cleats dont hold well at all . Seemed to slip badly)

...No jam cleats on the port side though ?

Gary

Oct 19, 2006
Some assembly required

We had jam cleats on both sides.

The holes didn't match up completely, but I think 2 did and I just tapped 2 new holes. Then I filled in the 2 old unused holes with epoxy and patched in some gelcoat over them. I think I posted pix in a thread a few years back. I'll see if I can find it.

You want to put it in the same place as the existing jam cleats. That sort of square pad where the old cleats are indicate where Hunter glassed in an aluminum plate so you can tap a bolt hole.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The swivel PX model 206 can handle line up to 1/4" and loads to 300#'s. The PX 810 handles line to 3/8" and loads to 440#'s. At $48.00 and $60.00 respectively they are a great upgrade.

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
Do I understand correctly that the traditional fixed cleats are removed and the PX 810 is installed in its place ?

Being a swivel cleat it doesnt need to be "aimed" at the winch .....?

There are many times when i won't even use the winch and then the swivel PX 810 will automaticly line up with the unwinched jib sheet ?

Sounds like just what I want !

Gary

Oct 19, 2006
Same Mounting Location

Correct. You remove the old cleats & put the Spinlocks in their place. As mentioned earlier, you want to install them on the mounting pad built in to the fiberglass.

I never use the winches to adjust jib sheets. There really isn't any need. The sail isn't big enough to generate enough force to use it, for me anyway. I use the starboard winch for finishing off raising the jib and main halyards.

The swivels will point in the correct direction by themselves.

At the same time I installed a triple-rope clutch for the halyards & centerboard uphaul line. It was rather upsetting to have the jib halyard release in heavy winds the first two times we sailed her! The old clam cleats had lost their grip.

Oct 19, 2006
Spinlock PX Mounting Holes

As I got to thinking about it, when I installed the swivel powercleats, I had to drill/tap all new holes. With the triple rope clutch installation, I could reuse one or two of the old halyard clamcleat holes.

The first picture shows the 3 new holes with the two old holes filled with epoxy.

The next shot shows the complete installation.

The third shows how it is normally rigged.

I'll try to get a snapshot of the triple clutch this week.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2006
Old Schaeffer Triple Rope Clutch

Here is a shot of my Schaeffer rope clutch (currently we're moored in the driveway!). Very much old school, but it is a great improvement over the clamcleats. The green flecked line is the centerboard uphaul. The other 2 slots are for the main & jib halyards.

The biggest potential problem for this is snapping off one of the handles. The new designs completely eliminate this problem.

As I said, I got a great deal for it on eBay, an awesome source for all sorts of hardware!

Attachments

Aug 31, 2010
hunter 23.5 longmont
I went sailing today , outing #2 ! What a learning experiance ! Not much real wind , but we got the CDI furler cleaned out and working smoothly , no water in the bildge this time .

Just a nice outting all around ,checking out the engine (Nissan 8 hp '87) it is running like a top . Extending the the trailer tounge , stuff like that .

My two buddies and my wife were the crew . Lots of room for everyone .
Learning ,Learning , always learning !

I have a lead on some used Harken swivel jam cleats to replace the fixed jib sheet cleats .....What a PITA they are I have to 're-sheet about every 45 seconds ...... with these crazy Co. winds .

They are not as nice as the Spinlock 810 's , but will do . I will spend the extra cash on a new laminated tiller . Sailing with the stock tiller feels steering a pipe .....

THANKS to all for the replys ! I Really like this boat .

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.