Hunter 216 VARA Rudder Assembly

May 30, 2016
Hunter 216 216 Sunrise Beach, Texas
My Hunter 216 has been out fo the water for a few years. WE cleaned it up Memorial Day weekend and were taking it out when we couldn't get the rudder down through the VARA rudder assembly. Turns out the rudder has bubbled up, but in pushing it hard to get it to go through, the entire VARA rudder assembly fell through the bottom of the boat. Luckily the rudder was stuck so thoroughly in the assembly that we salvaged it before it fell to the bottom of the lake, but now we are trying to figure out how to put it back into the boat. Does anyone have an experience with this? Even detailed specifications of the assembly might give us more info on how to get it back in. Any help would be appreciated.
DSC07139.JPG
DSC07140.JPG

May 30, 2016
Hunter 216 216 Sunrise Beach, Texas
First review this site as there is information on it and then report back.
Thanks for the reply. Couldn't find anything on this forum. Were you trying to direct me to another address? If so, the link did not come through.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Contact Chuckwayne and if not able to help, contact Al Fooks with the store site as he might be able to help on this one.
better yet, call him and leave a message.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
here's the vara data - this and much more on the Marlowe-Hunter site under models/previous models. look under manuals and misc and vendors and model-information.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chuckwayne;
Thank you as always. Had a great week leading up to Memorial Day as the Army" largest maintenance building was dedicate to my father for Army Aviation. I was also told he flew a ME 109 Messerschmidt two days following VE day and was shot down by his own troops but forgot to mention that to them. I may have inherited some Crazy from him. He may have been the last allied pilot shot down in Europe following WW II. I laughed so hard hearing that one. That was verified.

Mar 2, 2017
Hunter 216 Center Moriches
I am putting new Delrin bearings in my Hunter 216 VARA rudder assembly. Should they be bedded in some sort of lubricant or adhesive?