Sep 13, 2018
Hunter 19 Lake Tahoe
I have a 94' Hunter 19 galvanized trailer full of rusted bolts and I want to replace them all. What type or grade should I replace them with? (I want to replace them with stainless steel, but I am unsure they have the sheer strength, specially the bolts that hold metal that the bunk rest on) I am having no luck in finding an answer to my question. Ace hardware, home depot, and Lowes have no idea as to the strength for using for sailboat trailer. I went to a "Washoe Metal Fabricating" a local trailer repair shop and was told they use "regular screws and bolts". I am frustrated by going to these places in person and dealing with people that have no idea what to say or don't know where to refer to. I included pictures of the bolts I want to replace.
20180913_121120.jpg
20180913_121127.jpg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
The trailer is built with soft steel, so grade shouldn't be a problem, but I'd be more concerned with dissimilar metals issues. I'd go for hot dipped galvanized bolts where I can.

Ken

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I use to go to Fastenal, Ace hardware and trailer supplie houses. I feel others will chime in as to online trailer supply houses. Galvanized bolts will hold but replace with like kind. I did use stainless steel as a backup. I designed that trailer

Sep 13, 2018
Hunter 19 Lake Tahoe
I use to go to Fastenal, Ace hardware and trailer supplie houses. I feel others will chime in as to online trailer supply houses. Galvanized bolts will hold but replace with like kind. I did use stainless steel as a backup. I designed that trailer
I will visit the local Fastenal to find those like bolts. Thank you for your response

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
My experience with Fastenal is that if your not buying a bag of 100 they have no use for you. That may be different other places. If there is not a local place try McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Do not get hung up on trying to unscrew the nuts from the bolts just cut them off with a ripsaw much less aggravation.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Bolt heads of existing will indicate strength. If you remove existing and take in with you to homedepot, Lowe’s, fastenal etc. They can give you the correct replacements. Most will likely be grade 2 or 3. A few may be grade 5(3 radial lines on head) there may be the odd grade 8(5 radial lines on head) at coupling or on a brake/axle part.

Grade identification available here.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

I would also go with galvanized - particularly for bunk boards — especially if they are pressure treated.

Stainless steel doesn’t do particularly well if it doesn’t have access to air.

Sep 13, 2018
Hunter 19 Lake Tahoe
My experience with Fastenal is that if your not buying a bag of 100 they have no use for you. That may be different other places. If there is not a local place try McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Do not get hung up on trying to unscrew the nuts from the bolts just cut them off with a ripsaw much less aggravation.
You are right, Fastenal store had only bags of 100 and in general were much more expensive. I will keep in mind to cut of the bolts and not try to unscrew them, when I have the bolts in hand.

Sep 13, 2018
Hunter 19 Lake Tahoe
Bolt heads of existing will indicate strength. If you remove existing and take in with you to homedepot, Lowe’s, fastenal etc. They can give you the correct replacements. Most will likely be grade 2 or 3. A few may be grade 5(3 radial lines on head) there may be the odd grade 8(5 radial lines on head) at coupling or on a brake/axle part.

Grade identification available here.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

I would also go with galvanized - particularly for bunk boards — especially if they are pressure treated.

Stainless steel doesn’t do particularly well if it doesn’t have access to air.
I did order most of the bolts, nuts, and washers from boltdepot, all galvanized finish.
I did take the bolts to homedepot, Lowe's, and Ace hardware and showed them the letters that were on the bolt heads and they had no idea. That was why I started this thread, because none of the local store could help or wanted to help. This thread has given me more help and options than the local stores did.
It might have been overkill but I bought grade 5 galvanized bolts for the bolts (pictured) that the bunks will rest on and regular galvanized for the bunks. Thanks for the response.