Hunter 19-2 sliding trailer tongue?

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter 19-2 Portland
Just got a '94 Hunter 19-2, and have NO prior sailing experience. (Figured this would be a GREAT boat to learn on). One concern I'd like to address BEFORE I try it: The sliding tongue on my trailer is rust-free and slides well...but it APPEARS that as it approaches full extension, the rubber hydraulic hose on the Surge brakes stretches TAUT....BEFORE it reaches full extension. My question: Will hauling the ballasted boat up to drain it pull that hose apart a blow brake fluid into the lake? Looked for a 'second' pin hole in the tongue to prevent it from overextending...but found nada.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Your right brake line will not hold po must have not used tung extension. Two choices drill New pin hole or extend hose

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Take a photo of the tongue for me so I can comment as I was very much involved with that boat and trailer when being produced. Hunter built that trailer.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
I used to trailer a Catalina 27 (a non-trailer boat; also knew folks who trailered Cat 30s) all were done without hoists. Others trailered Cat 27s as well. Some used extension tongues, the rest of us used 50ft - 3/4 inch lines between the truck and the trailer for launch and recovery. At the truck ends the lines went through 2 heavy U-bolts on the truck's heavy duty bumper. NEVER use a standard bumper for any heavy boat towing!! They are not strong enough to use with either towing method. In all cases, there were no break lines used while hauling in or out of the water - only while the assembly was actually attached to the tow vehicle (often 4WD pickups).

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DE;
I use to tell my customers to pull the boat up the ramp a few feet for the water ballast to drain out first before pulling up all the way. I was waiting for a picture of the trailer from you so I could comment as I was involved with that

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter 19-2 Portland
DE;
I use to tell my customers to pull the boat up the ramp a few feet for the water ballast to drain out first before pulling up all the way. I was waiting for a picture of the trailer from you so I could comment as I was involved with that
Dave,

Sorry I never got back to you - if you can believe it, tomorrow will be prep day...and Sunday will be our FIRST DAY on the water with 'Sweet Alice'! I think I figured out the sliding trailer tongue problem: there appears to be a 'quick-release' on the line that uncouples it, so it won't be yanked out.

I'm just nervous; it's bound to be CROWDED on Memorial weekend at the lake we are going to....but gotta start SOMETIME! Have a new 4-stroke Nissan outboard to lean on to get us where we need to go to try our wind power.

THANKs for helping to make this COOL little sailboat. We are TOTALLY in love with this little beauty, and 'NUTS' to those that disparage the Hunter 19! She's a SWEETHEART...just like her namesake!

Thanks again, Dave!

Denodurango