Hunter 18 Spinnaker - how to use it

Aug 25, 2014
Hunter 18 Quebec at my home
HI, I have a Hunter 18 for the last three years and enjoy it very much. However do not know how the optional spinnaker on my boat works. Is there an instruction video to inform us how this retractable sprit works and if we tie the lines of the sail past the stand up blocks to the cleats. Your operator's manual is very vague as well as the layout which does not explain tie downs etc... hoping one day to either meet a person that is familiar with your product or to see a video of a sailor explaining the mysteries of this beautiful boat. thanks Daniel

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Hi Daniel,

From your text it sounds like you are expecting an answer from Hunter. The Sailboat Owners, and sub fourm Hunter Owners, are enjoyed by boat owners. The manufactuers do not monitor or respond on these fourms.

I'm sure another Hunter 18 owner will see your question and respond.

Aug 25, 2014
Ok Hunter 18 owners of the world ... any pictures or videos of you using the Spinnaker would help .... and if you have any personal suggestions on how to use it ... all would be great

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
It has three corners and you have three rope lines.
ahhhhh dah! It goes ahead of the mast and probably has a line for each corner.
seriously how hard is it to try?
If you screw up just don't post about it and we will never know. But you will have learned something and next time you will be better.
for the record I have a spinnaker (with no stuffer) and I still have issues "getting it up" (and down for that matter)
Welcome to the club and just keep trying.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It has three corners and you have three rope lines.
ahhhhh dah! It goes ahead of the mast and probably has a line for each corner.
seriously how hard is it to try?
If you screw up just don't post about it and we will never know. But you will have learned something and next time you will be better.
for the record I have a spinnaker (with no stuffer) and I still have issues "getting it up" (and down for that matter)
Welcome to the club and just keep trying.
:thumbup:

Aug 25, 2014
Hi Bill,

You are right it can't be this difficult - however I have passed that stage of understanding - what I need next is to understand the following:

1) why the sprit on my Hunter 18 can be adjusted in how far it can go out;

2) when you use the standing block why is there two setting - ratcheting and loose

3) why did Hunter not provide a small winch as part of the option package on either side of the boat - this way one could have not needed to keep the tension in one hand of the line.

I have bought a stuffer and yes it is much easier to raise and lower the sail, especially
when you sail alone.

anyone out there if you have experience let me know.

I am afraid of this sail because you hear so many bad things on how difficult it is to use and how unsafe it can become possibly even capsizing the boat...

I will continue to experiment and one day do a video for the others in the same situation I presently am to help.

cheers
Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
Excellent video indeed does answer most of my worries. ..now all I have to do is try it.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
For your quest 1, as far as I know, these boats with retractable sprits for asymm spinnakers are designed to retract when not in use and extend fully when in use - are you asking what the correct extension length is when in use? I am not familiar with your boat, so don't know that. I would think that there is some sort of stop or perhaps the deployment lines control that - hopefully another owner can help.

Aug 25, 2014
Hi this is true, yes the sprit is retractable and i am wondering if i should adjust how far i need to pull it out based on different wind conditions. It would seem that the designers of Hunter 18 gave us this option for a purpose which i cannot understand.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
1) why the sprit on my Hunter 18 can be adjusted in how far it can go out;

2) when you use the standing block why is there two setting - ratcheting and loose

3) why did Hunter not provide a small winch as part of the option package on either side of the boat - this way one could have not needed to keep the tension in one hand of the line.

I have bought a stuffer and yes it is much easier to raise and lower the sail, especially
when you sail alone.

anyone out there if you have experience let me know.

I am afraid of this sail because you hear so many bad things on how difficult it is to use and how unsafe it can become possibly even capsizing the boat...

I will continue to experiment and one day do a video for the others in the same situation I presently am to help.

cheers
Daniel
1) The sprit should be pulled all the way out and locked when using the asym (white looped line on your boat?). It gives extra room for the sail to fly, away from your main and forward of the forestay.

The tack of your asym should be tied with a bowline to the tackline (red?) that comes under the cover and to a cleat.

2) The ratcheting blocks are for when the breeze is heavier; they are much easier to hold with the ratchet on. Turn them off in light air. make sure to run the sheets thru in the correct direction or its a mess.

3) Boat is WAY too small for winches. A ratcheting block with a camcleat is perfectly fine.

That video is silly for your boat; its from the 80s and is for a larger boat with a symmetrical spinnaker.

Try this playlist. The boat is slightly different; but most of the main points are there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhQqVHpO5zajUPo4w3eSf5fdFifkEAJdl

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Ballon spinnakers, with their pole and extra lines for it, are the ones people talk about with respect.

Asymmetrical spinnakers are also called 'cruising' spinnakers because they are so easy to use. My only caution would be to not hoist the sail in winds that exceed the sail cloth weight. That is true with any sail.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If the wind is too light for your headsail to stay filled, rig your spinnaker, and stay alert.
It's a very fun sail to fly, and challenging sometimes, too!

May 16, 2017
Hunter 216 Egg Harbor, Door County
Looking at buying a used Hunter 18 that does not currently have the optional spinnaker pole. Will I be able to purchase and install an aftermarket spin pole?