Hunter 18.5 Passenger Capacity

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would not be too nervous about pulling an 18.5, but do be cautious. Check the trailer carefully (unless you already own it) and check the wheel bearings after driving a bit - feel the outside to see if they are unusually hot. I don't think an 18.5 is that heavy, but if you are nervous try to stick to slower speed roads.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Thank you, Isak (not sure if those are initials or a name, but our son is Isaac, so it could be a name). We will be driving interstates, but we can stay in the right lane. The dealer who sold us the boat seems very knowledgeable, and he is going to help us get it on the road. We’re mostly nervous about the downtown Cincinnati traffic, but hoping it won’t be awful on a Sunday.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Like Isak said. Go slow. And, take nice wide turns, especially in the city or you might take down a street sign, a hydrant, another vehicle, or another person. Practice with it a bit first especially the backing up part. Don't over-steer. Don't get nervous. You'll do fine. Slow and easy does it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jody
Send me a private message to include phone number so I can call this evening going over fine points of tying down and trucks of towing. I introduced the boat for Hunter and sold my fair share

Dave

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I hate driving through Cincinnati without a trailer can you take 275 instead? We used to live in Dayton and have family there so we go back from time to time. It is fun driving over the Mississippi into the city but after that it is as bad as any of the worst place I've driven through. Good luck and congrats on the new boat.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
At some point a law was passed that the manufature's plate had to be attatched in the cockpit. It would/should have the manufaturer's rated capacity in both pounds AND the number of people,
Ya know...
I thought that all boats under a certain size that were manufactured in modern times had to have that data plate on them, but neither of my hunters have it. Both of my older fishing boat hulls do have it. My tender has one. I am left to wonder if boats that are capable of being used without a motor may be exempt??????

That aside, I am comfortable having 4 people on my little Hunter 170.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...we have a Subaru Outback and our towing capacity is limited. ...
Yea, you might want to look that up. A hunter 18.5 is around 1,600 pounds with no extra gear aboard. A trailer is probably another 400-500#. If you add in some fuel, supplies, a motor & other gear, you are probably close to 2,500# or maybe even a bit more. Depending on which year that Outback is & what motor you have, the numbers may or may not work out for you.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Thanks, Jim. We have a 2018, and towing capacity is 2700. We’re going to be close.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Dave, I appreciate that, but I don’t know how to private message. When I figure out how to do it, I will indeed send you my number. I will appreciate any advice you can give us.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Granger, I have never heard of bearing buddies, but will look into them. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Jody
To PM a person, click on their avatar and a set of options pops up. From there you can message Dave.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Here's an article you will find of use- if you believe the source. My thought is that the manufacturers plaque is for the number of people in the cockpit, and is there to limit(and/or if not negate) their responsiblity and liablility and to inform unknowing people such as the OP of this thread.. However, my brother- a non-boating lawyer- opinions that the LxW/15 is the number which, if exceeded, will probably draw an unfavorable outcome in a court of law and would find negligence on part of the skipper who overloaded the boat.... Kind of like the refugee boats.

Attachments