Hunter 18.5 Passenger Capacity

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Hi, all. My husband and I just bought a Hunter 18.5. It’s our first boat, and, while my husband has some sailing experience, I do not. One reason we bought this boat is because our 15-year-old son plays too many video games and we think this is a way to get him out and active. Does anyone know how many passengers we can safely take with us on the boat?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
When the gunwale hits the water that's the limit. No, seriously. After he has taken lessons and can safely sail this boat, I would limit him to one passenger at first. If going out with another experienced sailor maybe add another person. Time and his experience level will tell you. That is a great boat to learn on. Keep it safe. And welcome to the forum. I think your post is going to get a lot of attention.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
At some point a law was passed that the manufature's plate had to be attatched in the cockpit. It would/should have the manufaturer's rated capacity in both pounds AND the number of people,

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Thank you. We’re thinking it will be some time before our son can go out on the boat without us. We’re mainly wondering whether the boat will accommodate four people— my husband and I, our son, and a friend.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
I will look for this. The boat is a 1992. We’re not “big” people, but some of our son’s friends weigh substantially more than he does.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This formula assumes an average body weight of 150 pounds

Number of people = vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.) ÷ 15
So 18.5 x 7.08 ÷ 15 = 8.7
So 8 or less will keep you legal ....

However that seems like WAY to many people on such a small boat. I don't like having more than 6 on my Hunter-26 just because it becomes to crowded. And who wants to be the 0.7th person anyway?

https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvani...city-and-the-Capacity-Plate/101039_101039022/

Jan 19, 2010
I think a better way to thinking about it is to take the 8.7 times 150 lb and make sure that the total weight of persons plus gear does not exceed 8.7X 150 = 1,300 lb.

At about 1,000 pounds total "cargo" you will find the boats stability seriously compromised.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's not really about carrying capacity. There is a point where you are in each other's way. Sit in the cockpit and move the tiller back and forth. Mostly no one can be behind that arc. That's for the helmsman. That's one. You could carry another two in the cockpit either one on a side or both on one side. In most cockpits even for boats in the mid twenties, that's about it. You can have another person or two on the sides but those need to be sailing able and a little nimble not to mention aware of the boom and it dangers.
Congrats for trying to get your child into the real world. I think boats are a great vehicle for that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm sorry I'd like to add to this. We have a friend who's son starting sailing early in a Yacht Club juniors program. He has just graduated HS and will be sailing on a delivery of the racing boat from Hawaii to Australia. I think that's about 3 weeks of ocean sailing. Can you imagine a better experience? We have another friend from local sailing who's son began crewing with a local experienced mariner and he's been all down the coast to Belize and Bahamas. He's not engaged by a yacht charterer and travels mainly in the Mediterranean for now. He's under thirty years old and has been over a good deal of the world mostly on sailing yachts. He may never ride a desk but .... what's that worth?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Don’t expect to sail with more than 3adults yes the boat will hold you fine but tacking and jibing will be a joke if relocating to the high side.

Les

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
+1 to Leslie's comment. We had a 17 ft Thistle (a bit more tender than yours, I assume) and it was fine with 2, tolerable with 3, not fun due to crowding with 4. Our 23 can handle 4, but even in that cockpit it feels crowded - my wife often retreats to the cabin to get out of the way.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Again, thank you everyone for your comments and stories. The more information the better. I’m already afraid our boat is going to be too small, but we have a Subaru Outback and our towing capacity is limited. As beginners, we didn’t think it would make sense to buy a new vehicle just so we could tow a bigger boat. We looked at two Catalina 22s, which were considerably more spacious, but our Subaru could not tow them. Sounds like there’s a lot of trial and error in this sport.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If taking a friend out is important to your son. Make him earn it by showing proficiency at basic sailing tasks. Then have the best sailing parent take him out with his friend, then change it up.

Teaching a skill like sailing is difficult with friends around cause your going to get it wrong sometimes and he won’t want to be corrected in front of his friend. You wouldn’t take him out for driving lessons with a buddy in the backseat would you?? The 12-18’ boat is the perfect size to learn on as the react so quickly to the small changes you make.

Les

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Les,
That’s great advice. Thank you. Alone time with our son should be a good bonding experience for us as well. We’re having the hitch installed on the Subaru today. We’re hoping to get out on the boat before our summer vacation, but it may be mid-July before we can actually sail it.

Jan 19, 2010
.... The 12-18’ boat is the perfect size to learn on as the react so quickly to the small changes you make.

Les
:plus:

Yep! People who learn on small boats make great sailors. It is harder to "feel" what you are doing to your boat on larger boats.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Please no more than 4 on board but agree with three. If planning to trailer a lot I will be at your service on some suggestions from the perspective as a former Hunter small boat dealer.

Jody

Jun 25, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Patoka Lake
Thank you, Dave. The hitch was installed this week, and we pick up the boat tomorrow. Three and a half hour drive home with it. We’re a bit nervous, as we have never trailered anything before!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I agree w/ Dave-- 4 persons should be tops for that boat once out of the marina and under sail.