HUNTER 170 SOLO MAST SETUP

DFD

Sep 7, 2017
Hunter 170 Hudson
Just purchased a 170 and would like suggestions on setup and rising the mast solo.
Seems difficult.
Thanks,

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"Quick Search" these forums for "gin pole". You should have plenty of reading to do.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
What aspects do you find difficult?
Also quick search stay adjuster.

I found the the stays are just short enough that you have to lift the mast up and stab it into the tabernacle. Then there is no wiggle room to pin the jib.

With 2 adjusters you can rest mast on rudder mast stand and stab the tabernacle. With 4 stay adjusters the mast leans several degrees foward. That lets you pin jib with lots of slack.

You'll still need 2ndary support to keep mast from falling backwards. I tie topping lift to cleat then pin jib.

Mast wobbles around but is secured until stays tightened. With stay adjusters can even lower mast on water.

Next dfficulty is knowing if there are enough turns on jib. I dobt leave my jib furled around stay(foot roll). I tske it off and roll up along luff like i was loading the stay on a drum.

DFD

Sep 7, 2017
Hunter 170 Hudson
What aspects do you find difficult?
Also quick search stay adjuster.

I found the the stays are just short enough that you have to lift the mast up and stab it into the tabernacle. Then there is no wiggle room to pin the jib.

With 2 adjusters you can rest mast on rudder mast stand and stab the tabernacle. With 4 stay adjusters the mast leans several degrees foward. That lets you pin jib with lots of slack.

You'll still need 2ndary support to keep mast from falling backwards. I tie topping lift to cleat then pin jib.

Mast wobbles around but is secured until stays tightened. With stay adjusters can even lower mast on water.

Next dfficulty is knowing if there are enough turns on jib. I dobt leave my jib furled around stay(foot roll). I tske it off and roll up along luff like i was loading the stay on a drum.
Thanks.
Having trouble pining jib, it's very tight.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
One more challenge. Get side bunks installed on trailer. Youll look like a genuis at boat ramp.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Had company come in from out of town without notice when I opened up and started to respond. Since you have roller furling, I will approach it from what I use to do for my 170 customers as a former dealer. The key here is to have an additional line at the top of the mast either fixed to an eyestrap or to a turning block (permanent or attached to the eye strap with shackle. The option to a turning block would have that line running down the mast to a cleat tied off.
The topping lift would be too short.
Remove the front cover and supports first.
With the line affixed to eyestrap only(long enough) in hand, I would raise the mast and forestay with sail up, swing around the mast and either shrouds holding the mast, then take the line to keep the mast standing up and tie off to the forward port or starboard cleat. This was a little cumbersome getting around the shrouds.
The other option with the turning block and mast down, is secure the line to either port or starboard cleat or to the trailer winch stand that would run thru the pulley and down the side of the mast to a cleat long enough with the mast down but in the mast step. Raise the mast and then tie off the line to the cleat securely and I mean securely so it would not slip. That holds the mast in place and you do not need to go around shrouds or remove the cover unless you want to walk forward on the boat to secure the forestay.
Hope this helps. You might have to raise the mast a little with some kind of support but my memory cannot remember. Ugh. Old fartitis setting in.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I ran into the exact same difficulties when trying to put up the mast on my 170. I've done two things so far to try to make the process easier. I made a pin with a good taper on the nose & enough of a handle to grab firmly. I also made a leverage tool that I plan to hook into the bow hardware & use to pull the forestry down tight with a short cable that goes through the eye of the jib & connects to the bow cleat on the other end . I'm not going to have time to try out the leverage tool until the end of this week. I'll report back on how well it works.
.HeadstayPin.jpg HeadstayToolC.jpg
I already had the eye strap line that Dave described. That line is a huge help.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I think that I have this one figured out & I don't need my silly little leverage tool to do it (although that also works).

This is the way that I did it by myself this morning:
1) Walk the mast up & tie off the top line on the mast to a bow cleat, to hold the mast forward temporarily.
2) Go to the bow of boat & lash the bottom eye of the jib to the mast support post on the trailer to hold the mast forward when the top line is slacked.
3) Uncleat the top line from the bow cleat & tie a bowline in the end of it.
4) Attach the trailer winch to the bowline in the top line
5) Pull the mast forward firmly with the winch.
6) Unlash the jib from the mast support post & pin the jib to the roller drum.
7) Release the top line from the winch & proceed to rig the rest of the boat.

Everything came out nice & snug. I had no problems.