Hunter 170 (1999) - Cracked Hull - HELP

Jun 29, 2013
Hunter 170 Michigan - Oakland County
please help/advise
i purchased a hunter 170 last spring (2013) and had a wonderful sailing season - the boat was shrink wrapped and stored outside this winter (in southeast Michigan)and when i went to launch it noticed several large cracks in the hull - some below the water line
the local sail boat dealer/repair facility wont touch it because of the plastic ACP material
what can be done?
it would be a shame to trash the boat but unless the hull it repaired/replaced it wont float for very long
i attached some pictures to help guide me
much thanks
michael

Attachments

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
Look into a West System product called g-flex. Supposedly useful in repairing kayaks made of similar materials. Good luck!

lokiii

Apr 12, 2010
Hunter 170 SLO
Sorry to hear of your troubles, and I have no advice for repares. But, for what it's worth, some advice I was told when I purchased my 2008 H170 (new) was to not wrap the boat with plastic sheeting and such. He said it would creat extreme tempurature differences in the hull and can cause cracks. I live in an area with realatively mild temperatures, with occasional freezing, and my boat is stored in the open in a storage yard exposed to the elements, and seems to be fine so far. This advice is a bit late for you, but I hope you get it repaired and back on the water soon!