Hunter 140/ JY14 Jib Size and Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2011
JY sailboats JY 14 Youngstown Yacht Club
Hi guys,
After reading through almost every post topic on this forum I thought that it was time that I finally joined so that I could ask my own questions. Last year a friend of mine gave me his old 1996 (or so) JY14. The boat was rarely used but had some gunwale damage and needed some cleaning up. After a few days of reading, elbow grease and a few bucks spent I was able to bring the boat up to being almost brand new. After all of that I got a TON of use out of the boat Summer. I sail on the Niagara River which is a pretty fast moving body of water, but it provides some really wonderful days for sailing.

I have also added a few other things to the boat like a boomkicker, anchor, fenders, grippy pads for the seats and the floor, and some extra cleats for a stern line and the fenders. After sailing the boat all Summer I noticed how small the jib really is. The boat did not have the roller furling package on it originally but I just bought the furling hardware for it from Harken. Now I would like to inquire about a new sail. I have found places online where I can buy a hunter 140 jib with the luff wire, but I am really looking to see if I can get a jib that is a little bit bigger. I know that there isnt room for a ton of expansion but I am hoping for just a little bit so that I could get a new sail cut. Unfortunately, I am not home to measure my original sail and/or sailboat rigging dimensions. Does anyone happen to know these dimensions (luff length, foot length, etc..)? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure where to start with all of this. Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I'd suggest contacting Hunter customer support. If they publish an owners manual, that info will be in there. It was for my H15.
Good luck.

Mar 26, 2011
JY 14 Niantic
Manual attached

I went the process of getting a new sail for my ?1998 JY14 a couple of years ago. I discovered the boat is apparently identical to the previously named Hunter 140. Manual attached in case you have the same boat. Good luck

Hi guys,
After reading through almost every post topic on this forum I thought that it was time that I finally joined so that I could ask my own questions. Last year a friend of mine gave me his old 1996 (or so) JY14. The boat was rarely used but had some gunwale damage and needed some cleaning up. After a few days of reading, elbow grease and a few bucks spent I was able to bring the boat up to being almost brand new. After all of that I got a TON of use out of the boat Summer. I sail on the Niagara River which is a pretty fast moving body of water, but it provides some really wonderful days for sailing.

I have also added a few other things to the boat like a boomkicker, anchor, fenders, grippy pads for the seats and the floor, and some extra cleats for a stern line and the fenders. After sailing the boat all Summer I noticed how small the jib really is. The boat did not have the roller furling package on it originally but I just bought the furling hardware for it from Harken. Now I would like to inquire about a new sail. I have found places online where I can buy a hunter 140 jib with the luff wire, but I am really looking to see if I can get a jib that is a little bit bigger. I know that there isnt room for a ton of expansion but I am hoping for just a little bit so that I could get a new sail cut. Unfortunately, I am not home to measure my original sail and/or sailboat rigging dimensions. Does anyone happen to know these dimensions (luff length, foot length, etc..)? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure where to start with all of this. Thanks a lot guys!

Attachments

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 380 24 Alameda, CA
looking for ideas

I acquired a JY14 a little over a year ago and have also been trying to tweak it to my liking. I'd love to see a photo of your boat with your modifications. I actually added a motor mount, but I think I regret that now. I'm unfamiliar with the grippy cushions you described, but that sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Feb 14, 2011
JY 14 modifications

mkschuessler:
I have thought about the motor mount before but I don't have a motor to even put on the boat. But luckily I am able to launch directly onto the lower Niagara river so there isn't anything I have to navigate through to get where I am sailing.

I have attach pictures of all the stuff I have thrown on my boat that did not come stock. There is a picture of the stern which shows where I have added two cleats and two stern eyes. The cleats allow for a stern line for tying to a dock and the stern eyes are for tie down straps to the trailer. I don't know about you but I got really tired of breaking the gunwales by throwing a strap over the top of the boat from one side of the trailer to the other, so I figured that this would be the best solution. (If you need any tips on how to do that let me know. The stern wall is deceptively thick!)

There is also a picture showing the gray material that acts as both grip and cushion for the seats and the floor. I actually took this idea from this website:

http://jy15-sailing.com/jy15-tips-nonskid.htm

It goes through step by step what you need and how to apply. Also on the website is how to add a windex to the top of your mast. It does this for a JY 15 however these can both easily be applied to the JY 14. The material is called SeaDeck and I think it is one of the best additions to make to the boat. I love it.

Lastly there is a photo showing the bow of the boat on the trailer with a big PVC pipe attached to the trailer. This for housing the boom during storage or transportation. It is simply a 6" diameter PVC pipe strapped to the trailer using galvanized metal ties. 6" diameter is probably as small as I would go for a boom carrier like this - it is super super super super super tight. Definitely go with 8" if you're going to do this. I usually bust up my fingers pretty badly trying to get the stupid thing in and out of the pipe.

Anyways I hope that helps you out a little bit... I definitely recommend the stern eyes and sea deck grippy cushion stuff. I really love the boat. I just wish it had a more storage compartments. Mine are all filled up with an anchor and anchor line and two small fenders... I am dying to get out on the water. The river has just unfrozen recently and I am tempted to brave the cold for a sail.

Anyways good luck to you and please don't hesitate to ask if you need help with the grippy stuff or anything else!

I acquired a JY14 a little over a year ago and have also been trying to tweak it to my liking. I'd love to see a photo of your boat with your modifications. I actually added a motor mount, but I think I regret that now. I'm unfamiliar with the grippy cushions you described, but that sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2011
Re: Manual attached

harrigr:
thanks for the manual! Since I got the boat second hand I did not have one until now and I have been really wondering how to remove the centerboard for repairs! Thanks a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.