Hull Seperation?

TomCT

Feb 11, 2019
Catalina 22 New London
Hey there, new to the forum. I'm about to buy an 81' Catalina 22. I'm aware of the Catalina smile condition and the things that come with older used boats. I've attached 2 pics of the keel on this vessel. Theres a lot of rust but i 'm wondering about the inch gap between the hull and the keel. Everything else on the boat looks fine. How concerned should i be about this keel? Thank you.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It looks like it needs to be sandblasted and resealed. Maybe even refaired. Could be an expensive job. Forget the cheaper keel maintenance methods, they don't last. i know this because...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The gap is common on these boats. What is problematic is the "lot of rust" observation. There is only one source of rust - the keel bolts. That is a bigger problem.

Being unable to inspect them from an internet site will result only in guessing games here.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
The gap is common on these boats. What is problematic is the "lot of rust" observation. There is only one source of rust - the keel bolts. That is a bigger problem.

Being unable to inspect them from an internet site will result only in guessing games here.
Agreed, but that is a lot of rust from just the keel bolts.