Hull Paint Question

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 Hunter 260 and I'm slightly concerned about the bottom paint. The boat is located 5 hours away so I can't see it up close without a drive. Based on the pictures, can you tell me your thoughts on the current bottom paint (or anything else you might see that my amateur eyes have missed). I see some greenish yellow coating especially towards the bow. Am I looking at fiberglass, primer, gel coat? Is this the worst you've ever seen or not too bad? I know it needs re-coating, just hoping it's not too far gone.

IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Those colors tell me there was a reaction between the bottom paint and the cleaning product used to clean top deck. Probably bleach but bottom paint fine. Its on a trailer just pick up a quart and touch up or run with it. I tell ya what works best at matching all the colors and look of bottom paint is to wax it no kidding and it helps a lot on boat speed when ya get in water

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Before you lay down your money you need to get a much better assessment of the soundness of that boat than looking at pictures. Once you have paid your money, its yours, complete with hull cracks, keel problems, blisters, wheel bearings, tires, wiring, motor, sails, electronics, deck leaks, rigging, canvas, steering, cleats, winches...........

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Those colors tell me there was a reaction between the bottom paint and the cleaning product used to clean top deck. Probably bleach but bottom paint fine.
Thank you very much! That is promising info!

Before you lay down your money you need to get a much better assessment of the soundness of that boat than looking at pictures. Once you have paid your money, its yours, complete with hull cracks, keel problems, blisters, wheel bearings, tires, wiring, motor, sails, electronics, deck leaks, rigging, canvas, steering, cleats, winches...
. Absolutely agree! I plan on going down there as soon as I can, but my information on bottom paint is very limited. I knew an experienced sailor would be able to give me the information I needed just from a picture, hence this post. The boat is in perfect mechanical condition (so I'm told) but in need of some TLC. The owner passed away a few years ago and his widow is not interested in keeping the boat. The marina owner is the one doing the selling (on consignment) and has been the primary caretaker for the boat since new.

I'm going to give it a thorough once over before any money changes hands. I'm a visual inspector by trade so I'm pretty good at tracking down problems. I also have access to way too many cool inspection gadgets so I'll know that boat inside and out before it's officially mine. Thanks for the advice!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dustin. Bottom paint is done. This does not mean you cannot put in the water and go for a sail. It means the bottom paint will not stop the marine growth from attaching itself to the bottom. Fresh water sailing, keep boat on trailer you'll bo ok till you sand and paint the bottom.
Look carefully at the center board. The boom is not visible. Turnbuckles are covered, look for corrosion. Good luck

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Thanks JS! I'm sufficiently landlocked so the boat has only and will only see fresh water. I also plan to store the boat on the trailer when not sailing. The boom and everything else is tucked away down below but apparently in perfect condition. I'll post picture and update what I discover in person.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks JS! I'm sufficiently landlocked so the boat has only and will only see fresh water. I also plan to store the boat on the trailer when not sailing. The boom and everything else is tucked away down below but apparently in perfect condition. I'll post picture and update what I discover in person.
Be forewarned - there is no such thing as a 15 year old boat "in perfect condition".

The area below the boot stripe looks like every other weathered bottom paint on a trailered boat and I wouldn't even think about compared with the important (read -expensive) stuff like rigging, engine, sails, etc...

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The registration number starts with 13K, US and Canada use letter code for state or province, is this in Mexico or something ?

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Be forewarned - there is no such thing as a 15 year old boat "in perfect condition".

The area below the boot stripe looks like every other weathered bottom paint on a trailered boat and I wouldn't even think about compared with the important (read -expensive) stuff like rigging, engine, sails, etc...
I take someone saying perfect condition to mean in as good of shape as any other 15yo boat. There is enough wiggle room in price that I could could replace sheets, sails, rigging and sails and still come out head I think. That being said, and again only going off pictures for now, there doesn't seem to be anything too far gone. Used equipment is always a gamble but that's all part of the fun!

The registration number starts with 13K, US and Canada use letter code for state or province, is this in Mexico or something ?
13K means it was registered in Vancouver BC

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"perfect" should mean perfect, i.e. everything is in excellent condition. "Perfect for a 15 year old boat" could mean anything. Original rigging, motor sails etc. The bottom doesn't look perfect even for a 15 year old boat. The intent is to not assume anything going into this. Don't let passion get in the way of seeing what needs to be done to get a fair deal.
Then get it on the water and go sailing!!

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
"perfect" should mean perfect, i.e. everything is in excellent condition. "Perfect for a 15 year old boat" could mean anything. Original rigging, motor sails etc. The bottom doesn't look perfect even for a 15 year old boat. The intent is to not assume anything going into this. Don't let passion get in the way of seeing what needs to be done to get a fair deal.
Then get it on the water and go sailing!!
I haven't seen it up close to know if perfect means perfect. I'm not setting my expectations too high and will be happy if I'm wrong. The pictures do look very good and like I said, lots of room in the budget for easily replaceable items.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dustin. BC could mean a fresh water sailor or a salt water adventurer. As others have cautioned, evaluate what you see and discount accordingly. I had a lot of room in my boat price compared to "good" condition. I expected standing rigging replacement on a 40 plus year old boat. Even so it ended up being more than replacing a few of those wires holding the mast in place.

15 years is about the time standing rigging needs serious review and replacement. $6 to 9K to do a complete job in a marina by a qualified rigger. DYI and you'll save a bit in man hour costs. Take it home and you save in marina costs.

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Hey John! I was told the boat has spent it's entire life on the same lake, with the same owner, in Alberta. So as far as I know it's never seen saltwater. I believe the boat was purchased from a dealer in Vancouver, and since a licensing a boat like this isn't mandatory in Canada I don't think that number has ever been updated. Any pleasure craft in Canada with a 10HP+ motor must be licensed, but this one is only 9.9hp.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dustin;
You will get more good responses in the Hunter small boats as most 26/260 owners are there. I would ask that the boat be put in the water to see if there are any leaks in the rear behind the aft berth wall (take a flashlight, below the compression post and look under the rear berth too. Generally they can be fixed. Max hp on the engine is 10 hp so the 9.9 is the best and max engine suggested for this boat. Check the tires for dry rot and make sure if you are going to buy to put air pressure to what it calls for. If you do plan to buy it, send me a private email and I will be glad to talk with you in detail. I was involved in the design and as a former dealer sold nearly a quarter of the production line. I think I know this boat.

crazy dave condon

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that this boat is at Ghost Lake? If you're going to bring it to the great white north, you are correct that it's about 5 hours, and if it's at Ghost, chances are that the mast hasn't been down in years, and there hasn't been a single drop of lube added to the bearings. Don't leave home without a spare, a good jack, and some blocking just in case. I wouldn't want to even begin to entertain changing a tire on 2 or 2a.
Where do you plan to sail it?

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Dustin;
You will get more good responses in the Hunter small boats as most 26/260 owners are there. I would ask that the boat be put in the water to see if there are any leaks in the rear behind the aft berth wall (take a flashlight, below the compression post and look under the rear berth too. Generally they can be fixed. Max hp on the engine is 10 hp so the 9.9 is the best and max engine suggested for this boat. Check the tires for dry rot and make sure if you are going to buy to put air pressure to what it calls for. If you do plan to buy it, send me a private email and I will be glad to talk with you in detail. I was involved in the design and as a former dealer sold nearly a quarter of the production line. I think I know this boat.

crazy dave condon
Thanks for the advice! You've become a sailing god in my opinion since every time I search for something on here, you seem to answer my question! I am now the proud owner of this boat. I am a visual inspector by trade so I brought all my borescope goodies and and looked at every square inch of the inside of the hull. I bought the boat as is so I wasn't able to get it on the water before hand. I've spent the last week going over everything and plan to float it on a nearby lake this weekend. So far everything has been nearly perfect!

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that this boat is at Ghost Lake? Where do you plan to sail it?
Yes it was at Ghost Lake. I'll be floating it at wabamun this weekend and may or may not raise the mast out there. If all is looking good I'll be headed to BC with it beginning of August.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Well, if its at Wabamun, swing by and say hi. We're at Whitewood Sands, about 1/2 way west on the north shore.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Meriachee is a good source but if you want to talk about mast raising and feel a phone call is in order, feel free to do so but no mast raising over the water. Do it while the boat is on the trailer unless the ramp does not allow it for example one ramp in Charleston with overhead wires crossing it.