Hull leak

Mar 24, 2013
Beneteau 311 Middle River
02 Ben 311 just in the water, after four days I was able to get on board. Found water collecting aft of the engine area, about 1-1.5 liters. Found a pin hole leak in the fiberglass aft end of the propeller shaft log compartment (no photos). Anyone have any experience with anything similar? Does the boat need to be hauled out and evaluated? Have not been out motoring or sailing so not sure how movement through the water would impact rate of inflow. Welcome all wisdom and advise.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Make sure it's not running back from stuffing box which you can tighten to 1-2 drips per min while shaft is turning. If not for stuffing then you need to have it checked out.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
You might be able to stop it temporarily with a MarineTex patch ( I think it cures under water).Any way you would be doing it from inside. It would be better though if you could get the area dry before attempting a patch.
I know that the fiberglas can be pretty thin in that shaft depression because when hauled out one can see daylight through it.
As I recall, the 311 has a Volvo shaft seal and not a stuffing box. At the age of your boat, that seal could be letting in some water too. If thats the case, its probably time to replace it, and that definitely requires a haulout. If the rubber itself is not deteriorated, you could possibly get through the season with just a little bit of water acumulation after each outing, but you have to ask yourself if its worth the risk. (Murphy's law; you would never be able to see a potential problem like this until the boat is back in the water at the beginning of the season, never at the end)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Get it down to Bert Jabins and let the AYS service guys have a look at it. This could be serious or it could be an easily remedied nuisance. And if you need a short haut to repair they have the equipment.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
Get it down to Bert Jabins and let the AYS service guys have a look at it. This could be serious or it could be an easily remedied nuisance. And if you need a short haut to repair they have the equipment.
Matt and the rest of the crew at AYS are the best around.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
If by any chance it is the Volvo dripless seal leaking and spraying back (my 351 leaked this year), try greasing the seal lip.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I am unfamiliar with your boat. While checking for alternate sources for the water check the rudder shaft seal if one is present. In my boat when that seal needs attention a light trail of water appears in the same area that you described.

Mar 24, 2013
Beneteau 311 Middle River
Thanks for all your suggestions the boat was pulled out and that area was repaired fiberglass re done