Hull Divers For Hire

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello Fstbttms

I have been wondering about something w.r.t. hull cleaners. How do you all protect yourselves from electric shock drowning? Is there a probe you can stick in the water first? Do you just risk it?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Hello Fstbttms

I have been wondering about something w.r.t. hull cleaners. How do you all protect yourselves from electric shock drowning? Is there a probe you can stick in the water first? Do you just risk it?
Electric shock drowning (ESD) is extremely rare (to the point of being essentially non-existent) in saltwater. That said, I unplug every boat I dive as a precaution. You only have to get electrocuted once to ruin your day.

Freshwater diving is a different story. Hull cleaners who do that sometimes use electric current testing devices to check for the presence of stray current where they work. I sure as hell I would if I worked in freshwater.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.... saltwater. ...Freshwater diving is a different story.
Ah! That is the piece I was not plugging into. I guess I knew that but had not assimilated it into my thinking. I mostly lake sail so I think about ESD and I never let my kids swim at the marina, nor do I scrub my bottom at the marina. If I need to scrub, I anchor in a cove.