Registered users don't see ads

Hull cleaning

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by AwwShucks, Jun 18, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. AwwShucks

AwwShucks

Joined Dec 29, 2017
    7 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 310
    Aww Shucks US Middle River
    So I was trying to dock alongside a pier at a local marina where I am getting some work done and the spot that they had open was extremely tight and there was a 10knot wind coming across the beam. As I brought it in my bumpers were not low enough so I marked up the hull with their dock bumper that was black on the white hull. What does the group think that I should use to clean up this mess, as it is the first time I am having to deal with this issue? Thanks in advance.

2. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,988 posts, 87 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    Muriatic acid. You can get acid and dilute it yourself or get On/Off Hull Cleaner from your local marine store. Look up the directions for On/Off. It will strip your wax and you will need to rewax the hull.

3. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    878 posts, 153 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    For something that minor, you could probably use McGuiare's swirl and scratch remover. Its a mild rubbing compound, which works well for cleaning scuffs.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    6,333 posts, 2,286 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    No pictures, so this is just a guess.
    Sometimes a Mister Clean eraser can clean up some small marks.

5. AwwShucks

AwwShucks

Joined Dec 29, 2017
    7 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 310
    Thanks for the suggestions - will remember pictures for future. Will try these suggestions in reverse order and let folks know.

6. Cat 310 #1 in GA

Cat 310 #1 in GA

Joined Jan 17, 2013
    250 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310
    US St. Simons Island, GA
    Soft scrub or the Mr Clean eraser or if it is more serious then rubbing compound.

7. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    1,999 posts, 394 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Acid is for black marks associated with metal corrosion or tannin. It won't help this.
    Black rubber requires an aromatic petroleum solvent. I think you will find that xylene does a nice job and is harmless to gel coat. Works well for fender marks as well.

8. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,988 posts, 87 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    Magic Erasers and other similar product work by micro-sanding the surface. There are people who have thinned out their gelcoat from scrubbing with these too often exposing the epoxy. Be cautious when you use these.

9. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,987 posts, 619 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Acetone or paint brush & roller cleaner. Re wax. Don't need abrasives. I learned that paint brush & roller cleaner works better & easier than acetone to clean fenders, and that is all that happened to you - a dirty fender touched your hull. It was no different than if you had you very own dirty fender and it rubbed against your hull.

JK_Boston_Catalina310 likes this.
  10. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,496 posts, 340 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    + one for Stu. Acetone will take off the rubber/petroleum type smudges. No abrasives or scrubbing needed. It will remove the wax also, but that's unavoidable. Save the acid based cleaners for organic stuff, like algae (pond scum, for instance)

11. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    575 posts, 66 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    WD40 ??

12. Clydo

Clydo

Joined May 28, 2013
    227 posts, 10 likes
    Catalina C310
    US SF Bay/Delta
    Acetone is great for this kind of problem. And as Stu indicated need to rewax. When I had a boat trucked up
    from Ventura, CA one time and it came in with what looked like creosote from piling on it. Big mark and
    acetone cleaned it up pretty good.

Clyde Thorington
    C310 # 245
    ILEAN TOO
    San Jose, CA

13. Dan_Y

Dan_Y

Joined Oct 13, 2008
    445 posts, 43 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Hampton
    @thinwater, would you propose xylene versus acetone for cleaning rubrail plastic or shore power cords? Acetone seems to melt/remove the surface finish on those materials, making them hard to keep clean and requiring acetone to clean from that point forward. I have some really stubborn mildew on the white plastic cockpit tables (can’t tell what material Hunter used), and am afraid to hit it with anything too strong, else become wedded to it. Dilute bleach helps some but not sufficiently.
    Thx
    Dan

14. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,659 posts, 1,846 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    So many conflicting answers. Just buy a new boat!

Dan_Y, AwwShucks and jon hansen like this.
  15. AwwShucks

AwwShucks

Joined Dec 29, 2017
    7 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 310
    Kermit - since they couldn’t perform the fix - getting the line down the mast for B&G wind sensor I was seriously thinking about your suggestion. (They wanted $2500 to step the mast) Plan b is to buy the new wireless wind sensor when it becomes available in 4 weeks for $700.

Tried the magic eraser and it worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

jssailem likes this.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.