How universal are trailers?

May 21, 2018
Cal 22 Port Royal Landing Marina
I have a 1985 Cal 22 that’s at a slip and don’t have a trailer. I got military orders to San Diego for a year and would like to get a trailer for the boat and put it in my backyard instead of paying slip fees for a year. Do I need a trailer specific to the Cal 22? Any advice would be helpful.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Welcome to the board.

I often have wanted a trailer for my Lancer 27. However, they are also hard to come by. So I did a little research and got data about my boat and the Catalina 27. Similar, but not exact designs. But I am thinking that with some minor modifications it should work. So check you Cal 22 specs against the Catalina 22 specs and see how much they differ. You might have better luck finding an orphaned Catalina 22 trailer that might work for your Cal 22.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @jwlarson2. Cal boats are a good choice.
Here is a link to an image of a Cal22 on a trailer.
http://www.rcryachts.com/print/used/cal-22
May be a tough craigslist or ebay find. Anything is possible. May need to build your own or get a big enough frame and alter it to provide the needed supports for the boat.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
A sometimes cheap way is to buy a decent cradle and mount it on a flatbed trailer.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
How far do you have to go? When all I did was move my Clipper Marine 23 1.5 miles on level country roads I used a trailer I would never have taken on the highway.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a 1985 Cal 22 that’s at a slip and don’t have a trailer. I got military orders to San Diego for a year and would like to get a trailer for the boat and put it in my backyard instead of paying slip fees for a year. Do I need a trailer specific to the Cal 22? Any advice would be helpful.
I have found it is much cheaper to look for a decent trailer with a crappy boat on it than to look for a decent used trailer.
Go on Craig’s List and search boats under $500. It is worth a short drive