How to transport extra fuel?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
My favorite set up is the jugs like what CloudDiver showed stowed in milk crates bolted to a board across a couple of stantions. One tie down through the handle across the top and they are not going anywhere.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
West Marine surprisingly was one of the cheapest places to get the yellow military style jerry cans $34.99. I found one at a swapmeet for $20, so I've got a pair now.
I think I've got enough suggestions now to figure a way to mount them securely.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have done 2 week trips in a C36 with a 32 gallon fuel tank and not needed to refuel. I motored some, and charged batts daily. Now with some solar panels, a lot less charging time, too. I would hate to carry fuel and water jugs on deck! I know it's probably more costly, but how about a bladder somewhere belowdecks, with a transfer pump? That is, a more permanent installation?

Hafa

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Saipan
...how about a bladder somewhere belowdecks, with a transfer pump? That is, a more permanent installation?
Maybe for water, if you have the space. I'd not put diesel in anything other than a solid, properly vented tank and gasoline is strictly relegated to above-deck storage.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Maybe for water, if you have the space. I'd not put diesel in anything other than a solid, properly vented tank and gasoline is strictly relegated to above-deck storage.
Fuel bladders below decks are not uncommon. However, I agree with your view regarding gasoline.

I confess I hate the look of jugs strapped on the decks, hate the weight high-up, and if I see pics of a boat for sale with them, I cross it off my list, as it was likely cruised/used hard.