How to test SSB whip antenna after lightning strike

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
My boat was struck by lightning while on the hard in Guatemala. It struck the VHF antennas on the masthead, vaporizing them and then apparently traveled through heavy ground wire to the rest of the ground system on the boat, taking out most electronic components; even the ones that were disconnected from 12V.

The SSB was disconnected from the power, but the ground wire was still attached and the SSB no longer functions. It's being replaced with an ICom M802, but I'm not sure how to test the Shakespeare 393 (23' whip) antenna. (BlueJacket is a Freedom 40/40, hence no rigging). How can I test this or should I just replace it? I don't want to ship a new antenna to Guatemala if I don't need to.

Thanks, Geoff

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The Shakespeare 393 does not have any loading coils. It is just a 23' conductor. So I would say that a continuity check from the tip to the base should do. Yeah, I know, where will one find 23' test leads? LOL Probably a piece of coax should do the trick for a test lead. Or any piece of wire.

The issue I have with using a piece of wire or coax is the total path is doubling and you might see some resistance. But, as long as you see either 0 or some resistance shows that a path exist. If you see a blank screen or OverLoad or something like that then the path is broken.

My concern is not the antenna but the antenna tuner. It too is probably fried if the radio is gone.

Feb 3, 2009
I'm going from a SEA-235 to an ICOM, so the tuner is being replaced also.

I must admit that it's been something like 18 years since I installed the SSB and the whip antenna, so I have no recollection of the tip of the whip antenna. Are you saying that there's a conductor at the top end of it?

-- Geoff

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If I may, what Brian suggests is that the whip is essentially a (stiff) 23 foot long wire conductor.
The test being to determine if there is continuity from end to end.

Feb 3, 2009
If I may, what Brian suggests is that the whip is essentially a (stiff) 23 foot long wire conductor.
The test being to determine if there is continuity from end to end.
I understand this. However, it's a conductor encased in a fiberglass whip/pole. How does one measure the continuity?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Doesn't insurance cover this? Ask for a new antenna.

There should be an input and return side where it makes the connection.

Feb 17, 2006
I understand this. However, it's a conductor encased in a fiberglass whip/pole. How does one measure the continuity?
Ah... sorry, thought the antenna was not encased in concrete. OK then, probably the only way is to actually use it on the air. I know that is not possible right now, but since you do not have access to the far end, there really is no way. Unfortunately you may have to wait until you get your new gear.

Now, if you want to be creative in the event the antenna is bad after you get your new gear, use a spare halyard to run some wire from the antenna tuner to the top of the mast. It is called an Alternate Backstay Antenna (no backstay required). You can also run up a dipole for the band you want to operate.

I know this is NOT what you want to do and sorry for digressing. However, until you can get a replacement antenna (if that one is bad) you can still get on the air.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Connect the new SSB and tune in something. It should receive only if the antenna is okay. Then try tuning in the transmitter.

Ken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Brian: You have it right. He just needs to file down the top winding resin to the wire and he can still get a reading. If good, just recoat with 50/50 resin glue. Chief

Feb 17, 2006
Under closer inspection, the antenna breaks down into three parts. Base, mid, tip. The base can be measured for continuity, as can the mid. Or you can measure both without taking the antenna apart. @Chief RA is correct that the tip can be remove and/or ground down until the wire is visible, tested, then recapped. So I suspect you should be able to do this without too much fuss, if you want. At $200+ for a piece of wire and some fiberglass, I would just go with a different/better antenna. Home made mind you. How?

Technical alert here. Don't read if you don't want to.

The specs of the Shakespeare 393 are length of 23' and resonant frequency of 10.8 MHz. That gives formula of about 75.1 / 10.8 = 7.01 meters (23 feet). This is one of two recommended lengths based on a blog by G8JNJ (this is a good read by the way). So if you wanted to, you could build your own antenna using simple, tapered fiberglass wrap. Might look ugly, but sometimes the prettiest girls at the dance are not the best dancers.

The other option is mentioned in one of my post above, called the Alternate Backstay Antenna. This is what I have (although not installed yet). It is merely a length of wire (in my case 35' long because of my mast height limitations). The antenna is made from 1/8 wire rope encased in vinyl. The connection is GTO-15 from the antenna to the tuner. Note that this length is also part of the antenna. So with 5' of GTO-15 and the 35' of antenna the total length is 40'. This antenna uses a spare halyard. I know you do not have any standing rigging except the forestay. So in reality, this Alternate Backstay Antenna can be run on either side of the mast amidship where your shrouds would be. You would want to put the antenna tuner as close as possible to the feed of the antenna of course. JMHO

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I am an amateur radio operator, and also a fairly new boat owner. But I've been an amateur radio for many years, so I know if her amount about antennas . My suggestion to you would be to check the SWR ( standing wave ratio) at the antennas resonant point, which BrianD said was 10.7 MHz, but do this with the antenna tuner turned off (disabled). The SWR should be very low at the resonant point of the antenna. The test can be run with very low power.

The SWR is tested using a specialized meter which measures the forward power and then the reflected power back from the antenna to determine what the ratio is. The idea is that any of the power that does not get radiated by the antenna, is reflected back down the coax to the transmitter. The SWR meter may very well be built into the tuner ( I see where the SEA – 235 interfaces with the next external antenna tuner). Your new ICOM should have this as well.

One of my concerns is that the resonant point for this antenna is in the 10.7 MHz band. That does not appear to be a maritime frequency band so it would be illegal for you to transmit a carrier at that frequency. The only ICOM radio that I can find is the M802, which will not transmit at 10.71 MHz.

Rather than using a transmitter and SWR meter, it's more common these days to use an antenna analyzer. The antenna analyzer is a very low powered transmitter (less than 100 milliwatts) and analysis circuit built into one box that will give lots of information about the antenna. Many actually give you a graph on the screen which shows where the antenna is resonant. Mine is a RigExpert AA-600, which will test antennas at frequencies anywhere from below the AM broadcast band up to 600 MHz. There are some very inexpensive one available on EBay for under $50 (MR100, SARK100) that are available, but a don't know how good they are.

I would suggest that you check in your area to see if you find a ham radio operator that has an analyzer who might be willing to come out and help you to test your antenna.

Mike

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Good job Mike! Does any of this equipment also give him a Megger readout? That would be handy as well but the SWR readings will likely make that test moot. Chief

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I am familiar with the megger, we used to use where I worked to verify high-voltage isolation. They are not too common, at least in the ham radio world. Some of the analyzers will also give you the loss of the coax cable. It's not unusual for older coaxes to get leaky and have more loss.

I also think that if the SWR came out OK, and when you brought it up to full power that there were no errors, it should be OK.

Thinking about it, it might be worthwhile closely inspecting the SO259 connector at the radio. Check for discoloration at the connector (like it arced). I'm assuming the the old SEA radio was toasted.

Considering that it's being taken care of by insurance, it would not hurt at all to replace the coax with RG8X, just to make sure that there wasn't damage and reduce the loss.

Mike

Feb 3, 2009
First off, I want to thank everyone for the replies. For some reason I stopped getting notifications that someone had replied to this post and as a result I haven't looked here for quite some time.

Anyhow, I decided that I was just going to replace the antenna. I have a ton of stuff being shipped via container to Guatelama, so I decided to ship one down. I didn't want to be down there trying to get the new radio installed and potentially having problems with the antenna. Insurance is covering it, so I'm replacing it.

-- Geoff

Feb 17, 2006
Good luck, Geoff. If we can help with any info or research,don't hesitate to ask. And, if you are a ham, will listen for you on 14.3 MHz (Maritime Mobile Service Network).