How to tell when a header isn't just an oscillation?

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
trying to improve my tactics and this one is a question I struggle with. If I tack immediately and the shift is short then I have lost ground but if I wait too long then I have lost that way too. Do you try and track the shifts before the start to determine if it is shifty or steady and try to use that as a guide to jumping quickly to tack on the headers?
To be fair, we are often in pretty close quarters and I seem to end up closer to the pin avoiding the log jam so tacking is often out of the question but I would love your thoughts.
Dan

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
take readings prior to the race, logging twa. You will see a trend of oscillation or perm shifts. If you also consider time of day, geography (aka local conditions) then your predictions can be more reliable. A recent course I took suggested using a standard form which included an easy plot of the recent trends.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Also, time the interval between shifts. Generally there will be a pattern that appears. Before the race go out and sail. Record your high low and mean headings on each tack over a reasonable period of time. If you don't have a tactical compass, you can use the mean heading as a guide for when on that tack you are being headed.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
take readings prior to the race, logging twa. You will see a trend of oscillation or perm shifts. If you also consider time of day, geography (aka local conditions) then your predictions can be more reliable. A recent course I took suggested using a standard form which included an easy plot of the recent trends.
Probably better before the start to sail in upwind trim, and record the compass angle on both tacks. As the guys pointed out, note both the RANGE and the duration of the oscillations. Based on that, you will develop a sense as to when to tack.

You also have to factor in conditions. In light air tacking is expensive, and often it is better to stay in breeze, 'connect the dots' rather than play tiny shifts.

You also have to be good at sailing consistently on the wind. if you are not doing this, then the measurements are invalid and useless.

A good compass is KEY to this. I rep Velocitek devices, if anyone is interesting is a GREAT deal or more advice, let me know! ;^)

Nov 8, 2010
t
To be fair, we are often in pretty close quarters and I seem to end up closer to the pin avoiding the log jam so tacking is often out of the question but I would love your thoughts.
Dan
Here's a thought about this... in a good fleet this would might not be a problem, why? Because the other boats would have sensed the knock as well and already tacked over to port! ;^) (see my post #11!)

Looking at other boats and knowing how THEY sail is a huge part of the game.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Third across the line last night after a bad layline call by me at the weather mark. Your call as to the tactics of the other boats around us was exactly right Clay, we all acted the same way to the same inputs! If we want to be first, it is obvious that we need to be perfect in execution and tactics and that is exactly what I want!

Nov 8, 2010
Third across the line last night after a bad layline call by me at the weather mark. Your call as to the tactics of the other boats around us was exactly right Clay, we all acted the same way to the same inputs! If we want to be first, it is obvious that we need to be perfect in execution and tactics and that is exactly what I want!
Indeed, at the strategy is different for One Design (OD) and Mix Boat (PHRF) fleet. In PHRF the boats often naturally spread out due to differences in performance that gets corrected later. That creates lanes that you can often tack through, but you of course have to be comfortable calling close crosses. In OD you have to plan ahead, and often choose your spot on the starting line so you control your destiny on the first upwind.

After the downwind things spread out of course and the 2nd upwind is much more open.

Some fun reading from the master.
http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/July02/dell.htm

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks for the article, Jackdaw. Just emailed the link to my crew mates.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Indeed, at the strategy is different for One Design (OD) and Mix Boat (PHRF) fleet. In PHRF the boats often naturally spread out due to differences in performance that gets corrected later. That creates lanes that you can often tack through, but you of course have to be comfortable calling close crosses. In OD you have to plan ahead, and often choose your spot on the starting line so you control your destiny on the first upwind.

I obviously need to work on the strategic elements because I normally end up feeling I have no options with regard to positioning once over the start line. Last night I went right on the first leg but only once the boat to my right went right as well to give me room to tack. Once there I couldn't bring myself to go back on starboard due to wind angle but I was now stuck behind the other slightly slower boat to windward of me in the same lane. We couldn't outpoint them so I footed and passed them but then was a long way to leeward and had lost ground. In retrospect I think I should have followed them looking for an opening or hoping to blanket them and pass on the downwind leg.
Would you Guys have stuck on his stern and tried to work up the windward side or tacked away?

Nov 8, 2010
I obviously need to work on the strategic elements because I normally end up feeling I have no options with regard to positioning once over the start line. Last night I went right on the first leg but only once the boat to my right went right as well to give me room to tack. Once there I couldn't bring myself to go back on starboard due to wind angle but I was now stuck behind the other slightly slower boat to windward of me in the same lane. We couldn't outpoint them so I footed and passed them but then was a long way to leeward and had lost ground. In retrospect I think I should have followed them looking for an opening or hoping to blanket them and pass on the downwind leg.
Would you Guys have stuck on his stern and tried to work up the windward side or tacked away?
part of the trick is to decide (strategy) what side of the course you think will be favored, and where you will spend most of your time. You then want to DEFEND (tactic) that side.

in general:
if the right is favored you want to be on the boat (right) side of the pack leaving out, that way you control when you first tack, and control again when you come back and meet the group (again on starboard)

if the left is favored, the reverse is true, you want to left of the pack, and stay over longer when everyone else in the pack.

Nov 8, 2010
but I was now stuck behind the other slightly slower boat to windward of me in the same lane. We couldn't outpoint them so I footed and passed them but then was a long way to leeward and had lost ground. In retrospect I think I should have followed them looking for an opening or hoping to blanket them and pass on the downwind leg
Talk to him. ;^) I'm amazed how many skippers don't talk to the boats around them. Ask him 'Whadda think about tacking? We're both getting knocked over here!'

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Some fun reading from the master.
Nice!

"Knowledge of the rules - To maneuver in close quarters you need a pretty good understanding of the racing rules; otherwise you will feel intimidated and other boats will be able to take advantage of you."

This is the part of racing that i find most unappealing. It really isnt enough to know how to sail well, but to sail well against the system. Kudos to those that are great at both.

Do you find that there is one guy on board "political officer" that has this as a job so helmsman can focus on shifts and obstacles?

Nov 8, 2010
This is the part of racing that i find most unappealing. It really isnt enough to know how to sail well, but to sail well against the system. Kudos to those that are great at both.

Do you find that there is one guy on board "political officer" that has this as a job so helmsman can focus on shifts and obstacles?
I like to think of it as not sailing AGAINST the system, both WITH the system. Common understanding of the rules keeps everyone safe. They act as a shield, not a sword. The only time I've every run into someone that thought I was 'aggressive' was someone who did not understand the rules. Other boats around knew exactly what was going on, and what to expect.

While we often have someone on board looking outward at tactics. Section 2 RRS rules 'when boats meet' are the skippers job as they are driving and have to make the calls. Every time I've seen a 2nd person try and call tactical maneuvers for the driver its been a disaster. Got vids to prove it!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
understanding meteorology as applied to sailing is the key to the understanding. i have met few sailors that can have a conversation about predicting the wind on any given race course. reading just the surface is a small part of it. being able the predict the winds during the whole time on the course is a science, not a trick. this applies to cruisers too. the only book that explains the science in great detail that i have found is the bathwaite book. airline pilot, long distance glider champion, rc glider champion, meteorologist, olympic sailing team meteorologist, champion sailboat racer, life long sailboat designer, and most of all, a great teacher. get his book. study his book. sail right around the pack.
no one talks about the wind as it crosses the surface of the earth cause they do not understand it. but you can if you want to do the home work.
his kids designed the 49er.
reading the clouds is huge. reading the terrain is huge. reading the surface of the water is good but it is already too late allot of the time. on all sizes of race courses.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
understanding meteorology as applied to sailing is the key to the understanding. i have met few sailors that can have a conversation about predicting the wind on any given race course. reading just the surface is a small part of it. being able the predict the winds during the whole time on the course is a science, not a trick. this applies to cruisers too. the only book that explains the science in great detail that i have found is the bathwaite book. airline pilot, long distance glider champion, rc glider champion, meteorologist, olympic team meteorologist, champion sailboat racer, life long sailboat designer, and most of all, a great teacher. get his book. study his book. sail right around the pack.
no one talks about the wind as it crosses the surface of the earth cause they do not understand it. but you can if you want to do the home work.
his kids designed the 49er.
reading the clouds is huge. reading the terrain is huge. reading the surface of the water is good but it is already too late allot of the time. on all sizes of race courses.
Indeed!! Great book. Also highly recommended, if you can find it:

93964DE1-E223-4465-8529-924884E7D1B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Every time I've seen a 2nd person try and call tactical maneuvers for the driver its been a disaster. Got vids to prove it!
I was actually IN this race at Bayfield Race Week, on another boat another fleet. This is what happens when a driver does not knot the rules down pat and tries to rely on others for 'help'.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
trying to improve my tactics and this one is a question I struggle with. If I tack immediately and the shift is short then I have lost ground but if I wait too long then I have lost that way too. Do you try and track the shifts before the start to determine if it is shifty or steady and try to use that as a guide to jumping quickly to tack on the headers?
Dan
Also local knowledge is important here. I raced in Narragansett Bay for many years and we had a "book" on all the venues of what to expect with respect to shifts in various conditions. So for instance, in evening racing just outside Newport Harbor with the usual SW breeze dying in the evening, there would be an oscillating starboard tack lift off Fort Adams. This was a case when the winning strategy was to hold the lift, tack on the header, and hold it until the next lift and tack back, short tacking the Fort Adams shore. This was with the current ebbing. With a flood tide it was better to tack on the first lift and hold it to the Jamestown shore. The details aren't important but what is important is to know the conditions where you race, know what to expect with respect to shifts, maintain SA, and be committed to your strategy.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Talk to him. ;^) I'm amazed how many skippers don't talk to the boats around them. Ask him 'Whadda think about tacking? We're both getting knocked over here!'
Ha! This brings back memories! Back in the day when I was just getting started in Ensigns I had new sails and a good crew and we were pretty good. On more than one occasion in close maneuvering situations the "Iron of the Fleet" (read that old guys) would yell in loud voices "STARBOARD, STARBOARD, BETTER TACK RICK" or "LEEWARD, LEEWARD" trying to make us maneuver to their advantage, rather tack on their wind. I learned early on to know our situation, trust my judgement, and ignore the "old guys". :) I really do miss this stuff :)