Registered users don't see ads

How To Practice Sail trim

Discussion in 'Sail Trim with Don Guillette' started by Don Guillette, Feb 10, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Slick

Slick

Joined Jun 17, 2016
    9 posts, 3 likes
    Ericson 35 3
    Us Tn Paris Landing Tn
    The more I sail the more I realize how much more difficult it is for us beginners to sail in a river.
    I'll just get the sails set, then the wind direction and intensity changes because of a bay or inlet.

BobbyFunn likes this.
  2. Slick

Slick

Joined Jun 17, 2016
    9 posts, 3 likes
    Ericson 35 3
    Us Tn Paris Landing Tn
    How far apart should the tell tails be on a Genoa? Mine are about 3 feet apart horizontally. I see pictures of others that seem to be only about a foot apart. Or does it even matter?

3. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,092 posts, 330 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    I bet the Cocker Spaniel was smiling!

4. Don Guillette

Don Guillette

Joined May 17, 2004
    1,877 posts, 47 likes
    Other Catalina 30
    US Tucson, AZ
    Andrew: She was a rescue cocker and great sailing dog. Her name was "Shadow" and she followed me everywhere. We have another rescue cocker now. His name is Kirby. He was given that name at the rescue place. There was another cocker at the rescue, who was black like my other dog but my wife said no to that one. His name was "Hoover". Both dogs were given those names because they gobbled up their food like vacuum cleaners!!

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    782 posts, 106 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    Outline:
    Sail Trim
    1. Draft
    A. Factors in determining Depth
    B. Factors in determining Position
    2. Angle of Attack
    A. Determining optimum Angle
    B. Compensating for Wind Shear with Twist

Just organizing to keep it simple. BTY: I am a very visual learner, so when I can compartmentalize complex subjects, they are easier to manage, as well as make it easier to understand how they interact.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,259 posts, 248 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Well, I guess if you wanted to simplify it even more, you could just reduce it to "Trim". Say what you will, you still have to break the two sub headings (AOA, Draft) down to explain the process. The combination of all four elements result in the optimal trim solution.

7. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    782 posts, 106 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    not really trying to win an argument as much as just trying to lay it out in simplified format, so their is some hierarchy of focus. this should help knowing why you do what you do. We tend to throw so many things out there, but there is no sequence or priority to the discussion. Instincts from those who are experienced seem to be random choices to everyone else. Creating a outline helps to stay focused on why we make the decisions we make.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.