How to make your stairs look great!!!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
So, Hunter did something with their wooden stairs which has been a pain for just about everyone.
For some reason they cut about 4 shallow 1/4” slots into them running widthwise across each step.
And these slots do nothing but collect sand, dirt, and crud. I found myself constantly cleaning them out.
So,,,, the world’s best idea.
Measure the slot width.
Then, order bulk 20 feet of O-ring material from McMaster Carr with a diameter 1/8” larger than the slot with.
Then, simply dab crazy glue into the slot, and lay a length of O ring in.
It gives you anti-slip stairs, gets rid of the crud collectors, and looks amazing
Be sure to bevel the O ring cut at both ends to about 45 degrees to finish it nicely!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I like that idea. Mine don't collect as much junk as you describe but it still doesn't make them look any better.

Thanks for the details.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Brilliant! I was thinking of filling the slots on my Catalina steps with some kind of silicon but knew it had the potential to be a messy disaster. Gonna steal this idea!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
So, Hunter did something with their wooden stairs which has been a pain for just about everyone.
For some reason they cut about 4 shallow 1/4” slots into them running widthwise across each step.
And these slots do nothing but collect sand, dirt, and crud. I found myself constantly cleaning them out.
Measure the slot width.
Then, order bulk 20 feet of O-ring material from McMaster Carr with a diameter 1/8” larger than the slot with.
It gives you anti-slip stairs, gets rid of the crud collectors, and looks amazing
Be sure to bevel the O ring cut at both ends to about 45 degrees to finish it nicely!
Hi Art:
Great idea! Really looks beautiful.
But what happens in wet weather? The rubber O-ring protruding above the depth of the groove may become slippery. Also, would water tend to puddle on the steps? I'm pretty sure the grooves are there for a reason.
Rick

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That may actually be the world's best idea. It's definitely up there with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and wheels on suitcases.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi Art:
But what happens in wet weather? The rubber O-ring protruding above the depth of the groove may become slippery. Also, would water tend to puddle on the steps? I'm pretty sure the grooves are there for a reason.
Rick
Actually, no.
The ridges just protrude enough to give you a great grip. It’s the opposite. Without the rubber treads, the varnished stairs would be slippery. This completely solves that problem.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi Art:
Rick
Rick
The grooves were there for a reason: to collect sand, and dirt. And they were brilliantly good at doing that.
I got this idea from looking at high end yacht stair pads. They were basically what you see with a chrome frame. Plus, they cost a fortune.
The total cost of doing this is < $20.
Humbly, I think this was one of my better ideas.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Rick
The grooves were there for a reason: to collect sand, and dirt. And they were brilliantly good at doing that.
I got this idea from looking at high end yacht stair pads. They were basically what you see with a chrome frame. Plus, they cost a fortune.
The total cost of doing this is < $20.
Humbly, I think this was one of my better ideas.
I agree. Definitely one of your better ideas. :)

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Measure the slot width.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Artbous, what type of varnish did you use ?, any special prep required? We have the same stairs on our 2005 Hunter45 CC, and I like the idea of the O-Ring material.
Jeff

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Artbous, what type of varnish did you use ?, any special prep required? We have the same stairs on our 2005 Hunter45 CC, and I like the idea of the O-Ring material.
Jeff
Jeff

It was Marine semi gloss, with a layer of matte finish on top. This way you get a bit of gloss, but not overpowering
Just wipe with mineral spirits before first coat, and light sanding between subsequent coats

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Artboas,

Great idea!! Would look great on my Hunter 46. What O-ring material specifically did you order?

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
what a great idea. I finally cleaned mine - I'm getting the O-Rings. Mana to you sir.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
While the finished product by the OP looks nice, it sort of defeats the original purpose of those slots. That is to collect stuff that otherwise will end up in the cabin. Ours need to be cleaned regularly; sand, bits of this and that. Just part of keeping the boat interior clean. No plan here to fill in those slots. I'm going to let them do their intended purpose. But thanks again for the worthy tip.

Last edited: