How to make a good offer on a boat for sale?

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
It seems to me a seller willing to accept a lower offer to avoid a survey maybe worried the survey would result in an even lower offer. I would never, ever, buy a boat without having a survey.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A few thoughts.... and for full disclosure, I have purchased 2 boats (both in the $25-30k range) and sold one of them.

1) I think you can usually get ~10% off the asking price. Both boats I bought were listed around $30k, and I offered $25K...both accepted.

2) Timing could be important...I bought 1 boat in the winter, long before the season starts to heat up in the Chicago area. I sold my boat at the end of the sailing season, and was motivated since since I did not want to pay winter storage, and I already purchased my second boat.

Spring time is usually better for the seller...people want to buy boats when they can use them. End of season, or winter, is probably better for the buyer.

Not sure about regions that have year around sailing...maybe seasons don't matter there.

3) if you come across as being overly "picky" during an inspection, sellers probably would consider another buyer...no one wants a deal with a super-picky buyer who will want to find every excuse to lower the purchase price after a survey. That doesn't mean don't take a survey seriously and ask for fair and reasonable adjustments, but don't try to chisel the seller on unreasonable or minor issues.

4) financing or other contingencies can be a turnoff for the seller. They won't want to pass on another offer because someone has a contigency (especially to sell another boat). Get your financing set up in advance, and be confident you can close the deal.

My 2 cents...YMMV.

Good luck with your search.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Research can be the key to getting a good deal on a boat. Find out all you can about the buyer, the marina the boat is in, and always check the market prices for that sort of boat.
For instance, if the owner or someone in the family has medical problems and he needs cash fast he may cut the price radically for a quick, hassle free sale. Or perhaps the marina is raising rates more than the owner can afford or the marina is closing so a condo can be built. All these things can determine the eventual sale price of your next boat. Talk to folks around the marina on the weekend.
Things like electronics have no real value in a sale, because even if the electronics are barely a year old, they are already nearing being outdated. Use this when negotiating, even if you love the electronics package.
I know this sounds harsh, but a boat is a big investment and due diligence can save you thousands. I'm also a fan of a buyer's broker if I need help searching for boats outside my area. A boat ad can have pictures that are from years ago. There are no laws in the US to protect the boat buyer, as there are when buying a house (full disclosure), so one can waste a lot of time and money checking out boats that your buyer's agent can save you, and best of all, he gets his share from the seller.
Also, many owners have an emotional attachment to their boat which can radically increase it's value in their mind. This is the hardest one to get around and quite often it will put 'the right' boat out of reach. Move on. There are plenty of boats for sale out there.
Lastly, do not ever let your emotions get in this. If you have your heart set on one particular boat, you will probably spend a great deal more than you need to, to get the same experience, sailing. There are so many comparable boats out there that picking one and heading into such a big financial outlay can be disastrous. After all, until she's yours, she is just a boat.
Electronics do not age well ( become obsolete quickly), but having the electronics on the boat you buy can be very important. Replacing, or adding new electronics can be costly and time consuming. As long the electronics work and are serviceable, they don't have to be the latest and greatest. Both of my boats had an older Autohelm wheel pilot, and other instruments...they worked and that was all I needed.

Greg

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
It's a sailboat so the most valuable and important thing on a $30,000 boat is good New sails. And cheep China sails are exactly that. Of corse the diesel engine is worth 10 grand. Of its value as well

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It seems that Ward found a boat in seemingly excellent condition and made an acceptable, competing offer (another buyer was already bidding) subject to survey, only to find that the seller accepted a lesser offer of cash with no survey contingency. Following an earlier transaction that went awry based on the sellers decision-making process, I don't think Ward is over-thinking ... just having bad luck with sellers so far. I think part of the question is, to what extent are you willing to pass on a survey in order to close on a seemingly good deal? I think it is a tough question to answer. How much are you willing to risk?
Even if you don't care about what the surveyor has to say (some of us can do our own survey), I should think one must have a survey for the insurance on a newly purchased used boat.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Even if you don't care about what the surveyor has to say (some of us can do our own survey), I should think one must have a survey for the insurance on a newly purchased used boat.
That may be, but anybody can have the survey done post-sale to get insurance if necessary. My last insurance quote didn't ask anything about a survey, just had a questionnaire, pretty much based on a self-survey. Maybe I'm too naïve but in a case with an obviously well-maintained boat in the $20,000 range for a 30 footer, I don't think I'd feel like there is a lot of risk involved. If you can run the engine under load at speed for an hour during a sea trial, wouldn't its condition be fairly evident? I don't look at it as being at risk for the whole purchase price. I would figure that if I can't see anything after careful self-examination, the monetary risk for something I miss would be for substantially less money than the purchase price. The big ticket item I would worry about most would be the engine. Other items might hurt a bit to have to replace right away, but how much is really at risk when you are looking at a boat that is in prime condition, with maintenance records, etc.?
A seller with a boat in prime condition, and more than one interested party might easily prefer to favor a buyer who is going to avoid the survey. Why bother with the time and haggling afterwards if you don't have to? Just because he selects a buyer for that reason doesn't mean he has something to hide. So the question is, if you had to compete against another buyer, would you skip the survey if you can't find any defects on your own?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think a seller may let his/her boat go for less if the buyer appears "in love" with it, and the boat is going to "a good home." This view would be anathema to the idea that every seller wants the last dollar possible from his/her boat sale. So find one you do "love" and make it apparent, don't try to nit-pick it to death, then tell the broker/seller that the offer you are willing to make is as high as you can go; period. Make the offer. If they refuse then find another boat and try again. Obviously, cash works best & the offer has to be a "reasonable" one.

Also, you can go lower on an offer if the first, higher one, is rejected. In some cases this works for some folks if the offers are not too close together in time. The seller might have gotten other offers much lower than your first one, and might be willing to come down to a second, lower, offer from you if it's still better than those others he's received.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That may be, but anybody can have the survey done post-sale to get insurance if necessary. My last insurance quote didn't ask anything about a survey, just had a questionnaire, pretty much based on a self-survey. Maybe I'm too naïve but in a case with an obviously well-maintained boat in the $20,000 range for a 30 footer, I don't think I'd feel like there is a lot of risk involved. If you can run the engine under load at speed for an hour during a sea trial, wouldn't its condition be fairly evident? I don't look at it as being at risk for the whole purchase price. I would figure that if I can't see anything after careful self-examination, the monetary risk for something I miss would be for substantially less money than the purchase price. The big ticket item I would worry about most would be the engine. Other items might hurt a bit to have to replace right away, but how much is really at risk when you are looking at a boat that is in prime condition, with maintenance records, etc.?
A seller with a boat in prime condition, and more than one interested party might easily prefer to favor a buyer who is going to avoid the survey. Why bother with the time and haggling afterwards if you don't have to? Just because he selects a buyer for that reason doesn't mean he has something to hide. So the question is, if you had to compete against another buyer, would you skip the survey if you can't find any defects on your own?
Scott,
I could take a diesel that has been submerged in salt water for a few days to a week and have it running in a few hours. It would run like a Swiss watch for at least your hour and more likely a year, but sooner or later all that salt in the bearings and cylinders is going to come back to haunt you.
On the same note, a Katrina or Harvey damaged boat could also be brought back to look fantastic and for some time be of no bother, but eventually there would be delamination in any plywood (bulkheads, flooring, cabinetry), electrical problems etc. and her true state would become evident.
These days it is especially important that one use the most qualified and capable surveyor available as there are going to be more and more hurricane damaged vessels on the market, looking great and selling at a premium price, to catch those like you who wish to trust the seller. No offense. We've seen this phenomena grow rapidly in the wake of hurricane Katrina in the land vehicle market.
Buyer beware is absolutely the only way to go into something like buying a boat and trusting anyone can be a mistake. The very best con men are those who inspire the most trust. Sorry.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
DUE DILIGENCE
like someone also stated-boats are like cars they made a million of them
If it is not what you want walk away...
we bought our boat in February in KY..
we did our due diligence and were happy with that and the price-Surveyor was great as was the broker

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think a seller may let his/her boat go for less if the buyer appears "in love" with it, and the boat is going to "a good home."
Hey, wait, I resemble this remark! I turned down an offer from a potential buyer because I didn't think my boat was a good match for him and I didn't like him. After a while I received another offer from someone who fell in love with the boat. After buying it he sent me text telling me how much he liked the boat. A year later he sent me another text telling me how happy he was with the boat. A very happy customer. To me, that was worth a few bucks.

A couple of years ago I moved to a new marina. In the yard was a Tanzer 22 that looked familiar, turns out it was my first boat. Sailed it for about 15 years, she was like a high school sweetheart. Now I look at her and sigh. The new owners (the 4th owner) just don't take care of her well enough nor sail her well or often enough. Every now and then I think I should buy her back, but that would probably cause me to be single again. So I just sigh. :sosad:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
If you are going to finance or insurer, you may have to have a survey any way.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
:plus: This is all great advice -- you guys should publish this thread in a book.
One more piece - a boat broker is just like a real estate agent, an indirect line to the seller. The only time I bought through a broker, I let the broker understand what I was thinking with my offer. I believe he transmitted that logic to the seller. My current boat was for sale for over a year, which is not uncommon in this buyer's market. I expected that the owners were sick of paying storage and insurance for a boat they had no interest in owning. I told the broker what I thought the boat would eventually sell for under those circumstances, and that my offer was substantially lower than their ask in hopes of reaching that price. We eventually settled around my guesstimate. Don't be frightened of "insulting" the seller with an offer - most people are not that sensitive and are looking to move their old boat.