How to get this fixture open to replace bulb?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
If the only access is through the back, drill the rivets out and replace with self tapping screws.

Good luck!!

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Thanks Guys!
I usually go invasive first and then find out there was an easier way. Looks like removal is the only way.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I had the same fixture. It was riveted to the mast. Screws holding the lens are in the back.
As everyone else has indicated, no way out but to drill out the rivets. Lots of fun sitting in a bosun’s chair halfway up the mast and trying to drill out those rivets.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
While screws will certainly make removal easier in the future, you need to be careful to not use ones that will be too long & poke out inside the mast, where they might catch a halyard. You might want to install the screw to establish threads in the mast, then back it out, file the screw short with a blunt point on it, & put it back in. Or you could use rivets again. Drilling them out is not that big of a deal.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I have been unable to find rivets long enough to bridge the distance from the fixture through the channel in the front of the mast. I was wrestling with how to do this and love the idea of tapping the hole and bolting with a bolt not sticking into the interior of the mast much, if at all. I already have a problem trying to install a spinnaker halyard as the fish string takes the halyard only as far as the spreaders before jamming hard. I understand there may be a cross bolt at that point so maybe the fish is on the wrong side of it.

Thanks again Guys!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
How long do you need the rivet to be? 1/8" aluminum rivets are available for material thickness up to 5/8". 3/16" rivets can be had in lengths that are good for material that is up to an inch thick.

If you have enough thickness in the aluminum, then Doug's idea of drilling & tapping may be a better choice.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You can get pop rivets. Pop into place. Remove center pin. They are threaded to take machine threads in actual use.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I have only been able to find rivets that have 1/2" gripping and the distance from the face of the fixture to the face of the groove is about 1/2" meaning I think I need something in the 3/4" range. 3/16" are fine but I can't find them anywhere here.
Ron, do you mean the rivets are pre-threaded on the inner cavity?
Dan

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have only been able to find rivets that have 1/2" gripping and the distance from the face of the fixture to the face of the groove is about 1/2" meaning I think I need something in the 3/4" range. 3/16" are fine but I can't find them anywhere here.
Ron, do you mean the rivets are pre-threaded on the inner cavity?
Dan
Yes, The pin actually screws into the tube part. Pop it into place, unscrew the pin and use a machine screw to secure your light. McMaster Carr has them IIRC.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
From Canada, one guy to hold the light, five more to drink the beer, eh.