How to change coolant in Yanmar 2GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2009
Catalina 34 New Orleans Marina
Jake, you were right. The knurled piece in the photo was the drain. I attached a 1/4 ID hose and drained into a container. Coolant ha s been changed. Thanks to all for your help!

Randy
SV YAT

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
How to change coolant

In your picture, just to the right of the fuel filter, the fitting looks like it has a knurled piece on the end. This could be the drain. Try and turn the knurled piece counter-clockwise. The coolant may drain out the middle of the fitting.

Jake ' Eggs
I always forget to look at the "mid-size" boats in the forum and look instead at Cherubini owners
Because of that, I missed the dialogue which interests me, since I too have a 33 (1982) and did not know these engines have coolant (even asked a question)
Now you mention, in response to another member, to check out the knurled fitting... was that next to # 13 on his drawing? And is it the same as in the engine in our boats? I need to check whick kind I have, all I know is it is a 2GM
Thanks for helping

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Jake ' Eggs
I always forget to look at the "mid-size" boats in the forum and look instead at Cherubini owners
Because of that, I missed the dialogue which interests me, since I too have a 33 (1982) and did not know these engines have coolant (even asked a question)
Now you mention, in response to another member, to check out the knurled fitting... was that next to # 13 on his drawing? And is it the same as in the engine in our boats? I need to check whick kind I have, all I know is it is a 2GM
Thanks for helping
Hi Jorge,

The reference to the knurled fitting is based on the picture. Actually I had said that it was next to the filter but it is probably the fuel pump. Item # 13 on the drawing does not relate to an actual position on the engine. The drawing is a functional representation only.

Some engines are closed looped where there is antifreeze internally and a heat exchanger. Some engines pump sea water directly through the engine block for cooling. I think there is an "F" designation behind the engine model in the closed loop engines.

In either case there will be a block drain to drain either antifreeze or water from the engine block. I am not familiar with your engine as I have a newer 33 with the 3YMF engine.

I hope that answered your question.

Fair Winds.

Status
Not open for further replies.