How to adjust bow support on H23 trailer

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I finally rebuilt my entire trailer brake system so was able to haul the boat myself this year, did not need yard guys with tractor. I had also reinstalled the V chocks that support the bow where the winch strap attaches to the u bolt, and managed to winch it up to the chocks for the first time.
So, I see that the vertical support with roller a bit further aft does not provide any support, missing touching the hull by about 3 or 4 inches. I see no way to raise or otherwise adjust it higher. I thought maybe the winch was too tight so loosened it a bit and the bow did drop a little, but that roller still provides no support. See photo.
What do others with this trailer (KWS) see and does that support do anything? Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That support probably does hit your bottom as it is coming up onto the trailer. Imagine the trailer in the water at an angle. As the boat approaches it hits that roller and the roller pushes the nose up a little it aligns with the bow chock better.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@isaksp00

That support was worthless as shown making it more difficult to get the boat on. What you really need is to lower that roller closet to the frame so the bottom of the bow is deflected from hitting any portion of the trailer

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
I had the same problem with my trailer. I just backed off the bolts and took a big hammer and drove the support back until it touched the hull......problem solved.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I’m pretty sure that roller is just to help lift the bow while the stern is still floating. Once you pull out of the water the boat should be entirely and safely supported by the bunks.

Sep 7, 2011
Without the roller my boat tends to rock while going down the highway.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@decktosser
The boat weight should be carried by the keel on the keel tray while the bunk boards should support the boat from tilting over. That roller over time can indent the hull in as I have seen it.
In addition, I suspect that the movement as you described that your boat is not all the way up into the chock on winch stand. It could also be due to no or looose strap over the cockpit. I cannot tell what you have going on but a couple of suggestions. Brake gently several times with trailer attached in parking lot tightening winch strap every time after mast is down and secured. Go 10-20 miles and pull over to check strap and winch strap as the boat settles in by then.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Oh, yeah, my bad on the bunks, I was thinking of the water ballast Hunters, which do rest their weight entirely on the bunks.

Apr 27, 2010
No, the boat is as far up as it can go and is firmly into the V chocks. When I first hauled it, it was (as everyone knows) a bit back due to the angle of the trailer on the ramp. I tried the drive-and-brake maneuver, in the limited space I had, and it did not do much. But the winch was able to pull it forward as the slimy stuff on the hull "greased" it on the carpet bunk pads. I may replace that carpet with something more slippery, if I can think of anything, in future.
I suspect the vertical(ish) piece just isn't needed, or as noted may help as it is first pulled up. I don't think mine could be banged up to be higher. Plus, with the bow firmly in the V chocks I don't see that it's sway up there, nor would that roller really do much anyway for sway. I think I'm going to just ignore it.
Thanks for all the comments.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was successful pulling the boat forward after loading using a come-along wrapped around the keel. If I remember correctly @Crazy Dave Condon said it’s not a good idea in the long run. But it worked for me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Kermit
He meant on his former 23 wing keel which I told him not a good idea as that was tried previously by another owner with keel separation from the hull

Apr 27, 2010
Wow! I can't imagine how pulling on the wing keel would separate it from the hull, given that most of the weight is on the keel tray. The only thing that seems likely is that maybe in that case the bunks were too high, and had too much friction? Now, I was able to pull mine forward with just the winch, moving it perhaps 4 to 6 inches or so, sliding it along the bunk carpet. Makes me think the balance between weight on keel tray and weight on bunks is pretty good.
I only had to tow it about 1/4 mile to get it to the yard, never more than maybe 10MPH. So I did not bother to use any strapping around the hull.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
On my Mac 26s, that roller does as twistedskipper says particulary on a ramp with little sloap. Once the boat stearn settles on the bunks the roller no longer touches.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Big difference. Water ballast is whole lot of difference in the ease of getting back onto the trailer vs a fixed wing keel 23. Dealer for both boats

Sep 7, 2011
Big difference. Water ballast is whole lot of difference in the ease of getting back onto the trailer vs a fixed wing keel 23. Dealer for both boats
Why is it that I keep hearing about the difficulty of getting a wing keel H23 back on the trailer??? I have never had to try more than once....it goes on as easily as my swing keel Catalina 25 ever did. Am I just lucky???

Apr 27, 2010
My problem has been with centering, maybe because I removed the pipes and wood boards that straddled the keel above the wings. It was too hard to get the trailer at the exact depth to let the wings slide under those boards - often ended up above them. What do you have to center it?
This is also made worse as the lake level is lowered a good 5 or 6 feet by end October. So the trailer is past the end of the ramp and is on rocks, not level side to side.
Do you have any attachments that help you center yours?

Sep 7, 2011
My problem has been with centering, maybe because I removed the pipes and wood boards that straddled the keel above the wings. It was too hard to get the trailer at the exact depth to let the wings slide under those boards - often ended up above them. What do you have to center it?
This is also made worse as the lake level is lowered a good 5 or 6 feet by end October. So the trailer is past the end of the ramp and is on rocks, not level side to side.
Do you have any attachments that help you center yours?
I have the 2x12 that the keel ends up sitting on and a two 2x6 in a V pattern that funnels the keel onto the trailer. I also have two PVC poles at the very end of the trailer so that I can see where I am aiming. I dunk the trailer so that just the forward 6" of the bunks stick up out of the water and power on. The exposed bunks stop me just about where the bow stop is. I keep the motor on, climb over the bow and winch her on. I have provided a picture. The two lighter boards on the left side of the picture hold the rudder.
00Q0Q_2aaV3etZE6P_1200x900.jpg
of my setup.